Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pm-suspend works, but just plain closing the lid to suspend usually doesn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

pm-suspend works, but just plain closing the lid to suspend usually doesn't.

So I recently installed Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit on a Thinkpad T400, and wow, this thing flies! The only real issue I've had so far is that the suspend feature is a bit unreliable. Initially, every time I closed the lid, when I opened it and the machine came out of suspend, I was at the main logon screen, and of course I had been logged out, lost my open programs, etc.
    First, I tried upgrading my kernel, as suggested by this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2140353
    When that didn't work, I figured I'd stick with the original kernel for 13.04, so I went back to 3.8.0-23-generic.

Then, at the suggestion of this article:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2126215
    I added this to my grub file:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"
    As a result, now it sometimes works perfectly, sometimes it hangs for a while at a black screen before resuming, but usually the screen goes completely blank, and stays that way. I can hear the hard drive working, and the network light is on, and overall the system seems perfectly up and running, except for the screen.

Here's the really odd thing: So far every time I have run
    Code:
    sudo pm-suspend
    the system resumes just fine. That being said, what I think might work is to make pm-suspend run as soon as the lid is closed. My question is, how in the world do I do that? Failing that, does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this? So far Dual booting fresh installs of Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7, I've had far less driver issues in Ubuntu than in windows, and I'd love to have Ubuntu working perfectly, if only to rub it in my Microsoft fanboy friend's face!
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans
    Distro

Re: pm-suspend works, but just plain closing the lid to suspend usually doesn't.

Bump? I could really use some help here, I've tried everything, but I just can't seem to get suspend to work right! This is really annoying, since I normally use sleep a lot, and every time I habitually close the lid, I lose whatever I've been working on...
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: pm-suspend works, but just plain closing the lid to suspend usually doesn't.

I have had the same problem since 2010 in my hp compaq 6720s laptop: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1592875.html

I haven't found any fix yet.

I have found this bug report in launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/863834. You can try the workaround addressed in comment 30. There are people who say it works in their computers.

Beans
    Distro

Aha! I've only tried it once so far, but it appears to work! For the sake of anyone else watching this thread, I followed claracc's link to the launchpad bug, and used the workaround in comment 30, shown here:

/etc/acpi/events/lidbtn triggers /etc/acpi/lid.sh which triggers /etc/acpi/local/lid.sh.post at the end of the script. /etc/acpi/local/* allows you to add your own config (e.g. required for wmii).generate /etc/acpi/local/lid.sh.post
    make it executable
    and add:

#!/bin/bash
    grep -q closed /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state
    if [ $? = 0 ]
    then
    /usr/sbin/pm-suspend

fi

Beans
    Distro

Well darn. I suspended again, and once again was greeted by a blank screen when I re opened the lid. If it's any use to anyone, I did notice before the screen shut off completely that there was an error in the top left corner, I don't know all of what it said, I only got a quick glance at it, but it mentioned a device failing to resume, and I thought I saw "error -19". Any thoughts?
    Last edited by TheGuyWithTheFace; June 6th, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: I tried suspend again, and it didn't work...

Beans
    Hidden!

You have an issue with hardware/software not resuming from Suspend properly. It isn't related to the Lid Close issue.

Can you first confim /usr/sbin/pm-suspend is working without any issues? Run from a x-terminal and test it out.

Beans
    Distro

Hi os2,I appreciate your thoughts, and I hope they're helpful to anyone else that might view this thread, but I've actually switched to Debian Wheezy, and don't have a computer on hand that runs Ubuntu at the moment. If I could test it, I would though... Anyways, if I ever do end up with Ubuntu on that machine again, I'll try that and report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu would have better support for these sort of features straight out of the box than Debian. With Debian it's much more of a DIY affair.
    I'm guessing from your response you have the issue sorted on Debian?

Create the following file:

/etc/acpi/events/lid

Code:
    event=button/lid LID close
    action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend
    # chmod +x lid

This will work on both Debian and Ubuntu.

Incidentally, the script you have posted in your post #4 is unnecessary and has errors in it.

Beans
    Distro

Wow, that was a fast response! So, first, what do you mean by "features"? I wasn't aware that not suspending out of the box was a feature instead of a bug. I do agree with the DIY part of Debian, but I'm addicted to the stability and massive repositories, so I don't think I could leave even if I wanted to, which I don't.Yes, the lid close suspend works fine under Debian, but either way it's nice to know that this script will probably fix it. With regards to that other script... Yeah, I might have been a little prone to random copy-pasting from other threads... Anyways, on behalf of anyone else that may have this issue with Ubuntu, thanks for your help!
    Last edited by TheGuyWithTheFace; December 18th, 2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Line Spacing was messed up for some reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by os2 View Post
    Ubuntu would have better support for these sort of features straight out of the box than Debian. With Debian it's much more of a DIY affair.
    I'm guessing from your response you have the issue sorted on Debian?

Create the following file:

/etc/acpi/events/lid

Code:
    event=button/lid LID close
    action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend
    # chmod +x lid

This will work on both Debian and Ubuntu.

Incidentally, the script you have posted in your post #4 is unnecessary and has errors in it.
    I have tried this workaround but it doesn't work for me.
    I have created lid filev with the two lines you addresses, save it and change permissions to do it executable. When I close lid nothing happens, computer continuous running. Have I missed something?

I also have tried to execute the lid file but I obtain

Code:
    /etc/acpi/events/lid 
    /etc/acpi/events/lid: línea 1: LID: orden no encontrada
    clara@clara1:~$
    So it doesn't find the order LID

As I pointed in previous threads about this same issue, my laptop suspended when close lid in previous releases of ubuntu but since upgrading to precise it ignores the suspension when lid close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast