Thread: Learn Bash then Python OK, or should C or C++ be BEFORE Python?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Learn Bash then Python OK, or should C or C++ be BEFORE Python?

Hey everyone.

I am studying Bash so very slowly, ( old guy ) and still working full-time plus. If I get to where I want to progress further with simplistic/minimal programming, just for the fun of learning, how should I proceed?

I read that people suggest Python with Ubuntu, ( I don't know why ), and also that it is a right of passage to learn C first. I have also heard that C has a large learning curve and I don't want that If I can skip it.

Really, I won't do anything with this, other than learn some new stuff before my mind completely goes to mush, from old age. LOL

Thanks.

;p
    Last edited by mikodo; June 13th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Learn Bash then Python OK, or should C or C++ be BEFORE Python?

You don't need to know C to learn Bash or Python. And if you aren't into serious programming, chances are you'll never need C at all.

As with all other tools, the best way to learn is solving practical real-life problems, i.e. writing scripts/apps you or others could actually use. Stackoverflow.com is your friend as long as you don't copypaste code blindly instead of trying to understand how it works.
    Last edited by prodigy_; June 1st, 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Learn Bash then Python OK, or should C or C++ be BEFORE Python?

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    You don't need to know C to learn Bash or Python. And if you aren't into serious programming, chances are you'll never need C at all.

As with all other tools, the best way to learn is solving practical real-life problems, i.e. writing scripts/apps you or others could actually use. Stackoverflow.com is your friend as long as you don't copypaste code blindly instead of trying to understand how it works.
    Thanks, for the advice and tip about Stackoverflow.com!

That sealed it for me.

;p