Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow, unstable after suspend

Hybrid View

Beans

Slow, unstable after suspend

I have an SSD as my main drive, when I got it a few months ago, I followed a few threads info about disabling hibernation, swap, etc. A few days ago, I accidentally clicked on Suspend, so I turned it back on, then shut it down normally, and it took much longer than usual, at least two full 5 dot animations, whereas it usually never makes it past the second dot. Didn't think much of it at the time, maybe it needed to get rid of some suspend clutter, but it's been happening ever since. And I'm getting more frequent red screens than usual, I used to only get them once a month if that.

Any ideas what happened? I can't think of any other cause, unless this is just a massive coincidence and my ssd is going (it's a Crucial M4.)

*Running 12.04 LTS,
    Last edited by Plui; June 18th, 2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: added info

Beans

Re: Slow, unstable after suspend

I should mention that I'm dual booting, and Windows is as speedy as ever. This is quite bizarre.

Beans

Bump~

Beans

i had a similar problem after using sleep, mine was my graphics card for some reason, if your using nvidia i would look into it cause it just seems to cause a lot of problems with Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Annadin View Post
    i had a similar problem after using sleep, mine was my graphics card for some reason, if your using nvidia i would look into it cause it just seems to cause a lot of problems with Ubuntu
    You can say that again, I'm using a GTX 670. I had a hell of a time getting rid of tearing when I first installed.

Did you ever resolve your sleep issue? I wonder if reinstalling would help..

Beans

Bump~

Beans

Bump~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Plui View Post
    Bump~
    Have you tried installing the Nvidia drivers? I've had the suspend/resume problem using the open source driver and also older Nvidia drivers - 304 had your problem. Installing Nvidia current or 310 (or 319 in Ubuntu 13.10 so far) fixes the suspend/resume problem. My Nvidia card is an older PCI-e 8400GS. I don't know if newer drivers when used with newer or Optimus cards fix this problem or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Have you tried installing the Nvidia drivers? I've had the suspend/resume problem using the open source driver and also older Nvidia drivers - 304 had your problem. Installing Nvidia current or 310 (or 319 in Ubuntu 13.10 so far) fixes the suspend/resume problem. My Nvidia card is an older PCI-e 8400GS. I don't know if newer drivers when used with newer or Optimus cards fix this problem or not.
    I've been using the "experimental" 310 drivers, it was something I switched to a while ago in an attempt to fix some tearing issues. It's got a big warning that it's a beta, so I don't know if it introduced more problems than it fixed.

I'm using a fairly new card, a GTX 670, if that helps. Also forgot to mention it in my first post but I'm on 12.04 LTS,
    Last edited by Plui; June 18th, 2013 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Plui View Post
    I've been using the "experimental" 310 drivers, it was something I switched to a while ago in an attempt to fix some tearing issues. It's got a big warning that it's a beta, so I don't know if it introduced more problems than it fixed.

I'm using a fairly new card, a GTX 670, if that helps. Also forgot to mention it in my first post but I'm on 12.04 LTS,
    It's been some time but I recall 310 experimental having issues. The 'mainstream' 310 is working fine on my 12.04. 319 experimental on 13.10 is working quite well, it seems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast