Thread: New install of Ubuntu & I'm experiencing lag but I don't know where it's coming from

Beans

Question New install of Ubuntu & I'm experiencing lag but I don't know where it's coming from

I just installed Ubuntu (along side Windows XP) on my Dell Precision 390, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz x2, (details says the Graphics card is unknown). I can't really tell if I'm experiencing lag only when I'm using applications that use the internet (email, web browser) or everything. Though, I have noticed applications crash often. Like the Ubuntu Software Center. Often times, I'll browse through it & after clicking a category (or anything really) the following window will just be pure white or half white. Minimizing the window & restoring it has fixed this most times. Some times it crashes after doing this. Most lag I experience is using the internet. Not every site, but most sites are slow. Scrolling is very delayed. Some sites even lag when simply typing (this was especially bad on Blog Talk Radio when scheduling an upcoming show). Videos lag as well. I did a bunch of speed tests on two different sites (speedtest.net and speakeasy.net). Almost all of the results are excellent (for the speeds I'm paying for: 15mb/1.5mb). On top of this, there is another thing that could be the issue. My wireless router. The only device using the wireless function of my router is my Toshiba Thrive tablet (my son has a Nabi tablet as well, but we don't let him go on the net w/ it). My iMac (what I'm using to post this) is wired, my PS3 is wired, & my PC WindowsXP/Ubuntu Linux is wired. The PS3 is not on, so it's not drawing any bandwidth. That leaves my iMac, Thrive (nobody is using it right now), & Ubuntu using the net. I'd say this probably HAS to be the graphics card. But I've experienced net problems prior to setting up this PC & using it. Problems that my ISP says isn't their modem, but is likely due to a 3+/- year old wireless router, as a while ago I kept getting problems where the speed would intermittently become about 1mb/0.5mb. Though, this issue w/ Ubuntu isn't intermittent. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: New install of Ubuntu & I'm experiencing lag but I don't know where it's coming f

Please do not start multiple threads for the same problem, it dilutes the community's ability to help.

Duplicate of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12673376 closed
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog