Thread: After installation Raring doesn't boot

Beans

After installation Raring doesn't boot

Hi there,

I tried to install Ubuntu Raring amd64 on an HP Pavilion p6-2310ef desktop computer which already has Windows 8. The problem is that at each boot, it booted directly Windows as if there were no Ubuntu. There was no dual boot menu whatsoever. So I installed Boot-Repair and clicked the "Recommended repair" button. Now, when I choose Ubuntu, I only get the following two lines and the computer becomes unresponsive:
    Loading Linux 3.8.0-19-generic ...
    Loading initial ramdisk ...

The URL Boot-Repair asked to write down is http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/5722930

Unfortunately I can't get rid of Windows 8 on this PC, but I can't live with only that OS either so I really need your help.

Beans

Re: After installation Raring doesn't boot

Is this a UEFI-enabled computer? If it is, you need to make sure the Ubuntu disc boots from a UEFI-enabled bootloader. Otherwise, it'll install the bootloader to the MBR, which doesn't work under UEFI. In addition, you should also make sure secure boot is disabled.

Beans

Re: After installation Raring doesn't boot

Yes, this is a UEFI enabled computer and Secure Boot is disabled. But how do I know if Ubuntu boots from a UEFI-enabled boot loader? (Note that Windows boots just fine).