Thread: standalone linux app problems

Beans

standalone linux app problems

hey, I created a C openGL glx application. I need to link to libx11. so and other standard libs. Im little worried about the linker: I typed ./libcustom to link to custom lib in working directory. -l libX11 to link to x11, but I tested the app on another Ubuntu. It failed to open shared object libx11.so.6??? I thought libx was standard for Linux? So I really don't know how to robustly link with standalone applications on Linux. I do not want the user to install the libs (I don't even know how to code an installer). I know, my machine is x86, the other Ubuntu was x86_64, so a 32bit app linking to a 64 bit lib. Shouldn't be a problem? Do I need to provide 2 different executable, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit, with the dependancies provided by me? I want to keep the distribution package as small as possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: standalone linux app problems

You need to install specific packages if you want to run 32-bit executables on 64-bit systems. The standard practice is to provide two executables (one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit).
    Last edited by Bachstelze; June 1st, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Not sure on how Ubuntu manages multiarch, but in Debian we are able to mix 64-bits and 32-bits by adding an architecture to dpkg:

Code:
    # dpkg --add-architecture i386
    # apt-get update
    You may have to install the Ubuntu-equivalent of the Debian ia32-libs package, and then the relevant 32-bits versions of the libraries you need.

Beans

so I need to create 32bit and 64 bit of app? But I run a 32 bit OS. How do I compile for 64 bit? And I though 32 bit could run on 64bit without problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thedardanius View Post
    so I need to create 32bit and 64 bit of app? But I run a 32 bit OS. How do I compile for 64 bit?
    You could cross-compile, but it's a pain. You really can't get your hands on a 64-bit machine?

And I though 32 bit could run on 64bit without problems?
    It can, once you have installed the necessary packages.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

So for 32 bit and 64 bit you have separate libs? Uhm, should I provide themselves in my package I distribute?