Thread: Youtube stops loading every couple minutes

Beans

Question Youtube stops loading every couple minutes

Okay. I would like to politely request that anyone kind enough to give me suggestions here please read this entire post before trying to answer.

Alright. So, here's the problem. Every couple of minutes, most Youtube videos just stop. It seems to be a problem exclusive to Youtube, as other flash video sites seem to work more or less properly.

I'm reasonably sure that it isn't buffering, because I can walk away for hours and hours and it won't progress at all. If I must, I can work around it by reloading the page periodically and then skipping ahead to the point in the video where it stopped playing. However, it will stop playing again in a couple of minutes.

Nothing changes even if I close every tab or window and the youtube video is the only one up and I am the only one online at home. I've tried using flash-aid to no avail, and after going to try it again i found that the add-on had been removed from addons.mozilla.org.

The problem is consistent on both Firefox and Chrome. I hate making the comparison to Windows, but my father uses a laptop running Windows and appears to have no problems getting Youtube videos to run smoothly. We both connect to the internet wirelessly.
    My computer is an apple computer. The original Mac OS crashed and I lost my install discs. It has about 2 GB RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. (1.83GHz)

I am currently running Ubuntu 13.04, which runs pretty smoothly 95% of the time. I'm not entirely sure when the problem started, but I believe it began with the update to 13.04, although flash has always been something of a pain to work with.

The reason I don't use the html5 method of watching videos is that many of the videos I watch have ads on them and Youtube seems to force you to use flash to watch any video with ads, adblocker or no.

I'm not entirely sure why, but some videos seem to work well enough while others do not. I can't be certain, but older videos seem a little more likely to load all the way through than new ones.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would take the time to help me out.

Beans

Re: Youtube stops loading every couple minutes

I would like to add a couple of things. First, that I've been using Firefox and chromium browser, and they utilize Flashplayer version 11.2. Second that I also have Google chrome, and it utilizes it's own version of flashplayer: version 11.7 because... corporate politics, I guess. For Firefox and other browsers that aren't Google Chrome, Adobe has discontinued flashplayer after version 11.2 except for security backports. This suggests that the problem is probably not attached to a specific version of Adobe Flashplayer, unless it has something to do with conflicting versions, which seems silly kind of since so far as I know Google Chrome likes to run its flashplayer from its own little directory of solitude or whatever. But, I'm not excessively familiar with how that all works.

Third, Youtube videos load perfectly fine in Firefox on VirtualBox running windows 7, suggesting that this probably isn't a hardware issue.
    I might try out a couple greasemonkey scripts I used in the past on a currently deceased PowerPC running Debian that replaced Youtube's flashplayer with VLC or another video player with streaming capabilities. I suppose I could even try streaming using Totem, if it doesn't throw a temper tantrum of some kind. I've been struggling to get a version of flashplayer to cooperate with Firefox in Wine, which if it worked, wouldn't take up as much of my system resources.

Fourth, other sites that allow viewing of videos through Flashplayer seem to work well enough, including Blip, Facebook, Hulu, Crunchyroll and a couple others.
    I'm sure you were just dying to know all that. Well, maybe it'll help someone somehow. You never know.

A quick edit: yesterday I was using a script called "viewtube" to work around the problem by replacing the youtube player with a different one, but youtube seems to have "fixed" it so I can't do that anymore. I am annoyed.
    Last edited by allegory; June 6th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Beans

This also happens to me but it's not just a Linux problem. I also experience it with both firefox and chrome on MacOSX.

Beans

Huh. I don't know what the problem is, then. I've just been using userscripts, most notably the aforementioned viewtube, to work around it for the time being. Sometimes it just spits out an error, but usually it's fast and I don't have to worry about flash wigging out. I seem to recall having this problem using youtube's html5 player as well, so maybe it doesn't even have to do with Flash. If it's something that only works on Windows, I'll be annoyed because I don't like it very much, but I can't find very many people who have this particular problem, so I don't even know what's going on.