Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If Ubuntu disappeared

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: If Ubuntu disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by Dugachug View Post
    I think it's a safe bet Gnome is still default according to this. http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.0.0/i386/bt-cd/
    Seems since it doesn't show a Gnome DE, that you are correct.

Sorry about that.

;p
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dugachug View Post
    I think it's a safe bet Gnome is still default according to this. http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.0.0/i386/bt-cd/
    What do torrent links have to do with whether or not gnome is the default on debian wheezy?

mikodo's link shows clearly that the xfce desktop is the default for fresh installs of wheezy.

However, if like me, you run testing, and have since before the switch to xfce, then you would have the gnome desktop, as I have, as the default.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Probably Fedora.

Debian would seem a more natural choice but it actually isn't. After having using Ubuntu and Debian (Ubuntu much longer) I think that Ubuntu is not just another Debian spin (as in Mint being just rebranded Ubuntu), it is very special in a way.

I have the feeling that Debian is not really meant for everyday personal computing. Debian stable and testing are very "stable", but they are just so old and stale and if you are looking for new features you are out of luck (chances are stable may be too old for your hardware too). These are probably more suitable for entreprises rather than personal use.On the other hand sid and experimental are more bleeding edge, but actually not that bleeding comparing to Ubuntu + ppa or Fedora, yet these are much rougher and seem to be meant for bug testers and developers rather than normal users, they are very messy in terms of conflicting dependencies and incomplete packages. sid + experimental may be fun to play with but it is really not that usable as a real sytem. So with Debian either it is stable but too old, or reasonably up to date but a mess.Ubuntu is able to turn it into something that more or less works out of the box, very user friendly and with excellent hardware support and at the same time reasonby up to date (with ppa you can get really bleeding edge, Ubuntu's gnome3 ppa is more up to date and usable than Debian's gnome 3.8 in experimental, and in Debian there is nothing like xorg-edgers.)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 3rd, 2013 at 08:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

since you mentioned UBuntu +PPA then what about Debian+backports?

besides a quick check of Wheezy reveals the programmes there are not that old. though Firefox is a surprise. but to me keeping a browser at latest stable seems a good idea. for other things manual compile, backports, deb files... then again i still run winXP.....
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

@ Tamlynmac

Guess one never knows what the future may bring. They might even decide to commercialize Ubuntu and charge for it.
    That would not suprise me .... but it is quite a good product now for the ones that like paying for advertising.
    After all there are people paying for Microsoft and then Paying for Software to run on it too ..... imagine the course
    this would take if they started paying better wages - maybe they would then pull some of the developers back
    to UBUNTU from MS ......... ( this would put them on a level ground then ) but probably would go against all the
    principals that it was based on ..... the name in particular is to do with sharing.

Guess that would be still true even if people had to pay for the latest product ...... then the previous ones being
    free to the other users ......... always people that will pay to have the latest and greatest.

Would also put more pressure on developers - because people paying would also start complaining more if things
    were not up to scratch - changes the whole scenario.

Often thought though - when things are given to us for free ...... we tend to ignore them more ..... but its not as if
    its not been done before - my first 7.1 mandrake was bought and paid for and came with a nice book too explaining
    Linux ..... also in a box with 3.5" disks 3 I think. ( also got OS2 as a gift 10 x 3.5" disks and was not as good as Linux
    IMHO )
    what value would you put on Ubuntu 13.10 though ?
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; June 6th, 2013 at 07:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    What do torrent links have to do with whether or not gnome is the default on debian wheezy?

mikodo's link shows clearly that the xfce desktop is the default for fresh installs of wheezy.

However, if like me, you run testing, and have since before the switch to xfce, then you would have the gnome desktop, as I have, as the default.
    In a sense, there is no default DE for Debian since the user can choose which DE to go with by selecting which image to download.

But there was no switch to Xfce from GNOME, except maybe a temporary switch during Testing. All of the regular CD-1 images are for GNOME, and there are alternative CD-1 images for KDE, LXDE, and Xfce. Note the Distrowatch review for Debian Wheezy:

Debian has adopted GNOME 3 as its default desktop environment... [The ISO images incude] three DVD images, eight CD images, three alternative desktop spins (KDE, LXDE and Xfce) and a net-install disc.
    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...130520#feature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mint or Debian

I'd probably go back to Debian but am currently starting to look at Mint. No one survives a partnership with MS, so Ubuntu's days may be numbered already. However, it's not over yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I have the feeling that Debian is not really meant for everyday personal computing.
    I think Debian Stable is fine for everyday personal computing. Maybe it just depends on what the user wants and needs. Nothing wrong with using a distro that doesn't have the latest and greatest packages. For the web browser, it's easy enough to go outside of the repos for something like Firefox or Google Chrome if the user doesn't want to go with the default Iceweasel.

I don't think that Ubuntu is gonna disappear anytime soon, but you never know. I'm a lot more confident that Debian will be around for as long as I'm able to use a computer, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    since you mentioned UBuntu +PPA then what about Debian+backports?

besides a quick check of Wheezy reveals the programmes there are not that old. though Firefox is a surprise. but to me keeping a browser at latest stable seems a good idea. for other things manual compile, backports, deb files... then again i still run winXP.....
    Since I am on Debian sid (with gnome shell 3.8 from experimental) , I am not using backports. If I am not mistaken it takes sometimes for packages from sid to get into testing where it will stay a long time before getting into backoprts, they are quite old by the time they get to backports.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 3rd, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Beans

Re: Mint or Debian

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    I'd probably go back to Debian but am currently starting to look at Mint. No one survives a partnership with MS, so Ubuntu's days may be numbered already. However, it's not over yet.
    What partnership with MS?? I don't think Ubuntu is going away any time soon. This is just a hypothethical question.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast