Thread: Ubuntu will not start half the time?

Beans

Ubuntu will not start half the time?

Hello,

I installed Xubuntu a couple of days ago, and on that day I decided to install the ATI catalyst driver from the AMD website (due to better performance) for my card. I installed it, but I ran into a common error so decided to uninstall it using it's uninstall script, and now I am using Ubuntu's open source drivers because they are fine for my use. It uninstalled fine, and the open source drivers work, but now, about 50% of the time Ubuntu will not start up. What happens is the screen goes black and starts flickering, then goes blue but it never boots up, just stays there flickering. If I try to boot again afterwards then it works. I have tried to reinstall all of the open source graphics drivers, but the same thing happens. It's really strange.

My GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6450

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu will not start half the time?

i suppose that a xorg.conf have been previously created, and now disturb the new config. As the kernel directly deal with X, meaning xorg.conf is not required, you'd better to remove it:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf*

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion. Everything is working fine without xorg.conf, however removing the file still hasn't resolved the issue. I have restarted serveral times, and the screen still flickers and the computer fails to boot about 50% of the time as usual.
    Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

when you say fails to start do you mean this (673.08 KB)? if so look here
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    when you say fails to start do you mean this (673.08 KB)? if so look here
    Nope, that wasn't what I meant; no text shows up on the screen at all. My screen just starts flickering and fails to boot up. I think this may be because the ATI catalyst driver messed up something to do with the open source one, maybe it corrupted a config or something? I tried reinstalling the open source one(s?) with Synaptic but no luck.
    Anyone?