Thread: The package system is broken

Beans

The package system is broken

Hi there,

my package system is broken. If i want to "Install Updates" (Complete Generic Linux Kernel. Changes for the versions: Installed version: 3.2.0.41.49. Available version: 3.2.0.44.53) via Update Manager I get following error message: "The package system is broken. Check if you are using third party repositories. If so disable them, since they are a common source of problems.Furthermore run the following command in a Terminal: apt-get install -f". Details: "The following packages have unmet dependencies: linux-generic: Depends: linux-image-generic (= 3.2.0.41.49) but 3.2.0.44.53 is installed. Depends: linux-headers-generic (= 3.2.0.41.49) but 3.2.0.44.53 is installed"

Also Ubuntu Software Center is not running with error "Items cannot be installed or removed until the package catalog is repaired". But i cannot repair it get a similar message with linux-generic depends on.

Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The package system is broken

Quote Originally Posted by SeppKm View Post
    Hi there,

my package system is broken. If i want to "Install Updates" (Complete Generic Linux Kernel. Changes for the versions: Installed version: 3.2.0.41.49. Available version: 3.2.0.44.53) via Update Manager I get following error message: "The package system is broken. Check if you are using third party repositories. If so disable them, since they are a common source of problems.Furthermore run the following command in a Terminal: apt-get install -f". Details: "The following packages have unmet dependencies: linux-generic: Depends: linux-image-generic (= 3.2.0.41.49) but 3.2.0.44.53 is installed. Depends: linux-headers-generic (= 3.2.0.41.49) but 3.2.0.44.53 is installed"

Also Ubuntu Software Center is not running with error "Items cannot be installed or removed until the package catalog is repaired". But i cannot repair it get a similar message with linux-generic depends on.

Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot.

Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    and post the whole output back to the forum.

Post the output between [code]Your text[/code] brackets.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

Re: The package system is broken

Code:
    root@zentyal:/home/hias# sudo apt-get install -fReading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      linux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic adzapper squid3-common linux-headers-3.2.0-38
      linux-headers-3.2.0-39 dansguardian squid3 squid-langpack
      linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic libgeoip1
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      linux-generic
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      linux-generic
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0 B/1,720 B of archives.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic:
     linux-generic depends on linux-image-generic (= 3.2.0.41.49); however:
      Version of linux-image-generic on system is 3.2.0.45.54.
     linux-generic depends on linux-headers-generic (= 3.2.0.41.49); however:
      Version of linux-headers-generic on system is 3.2.0.45.54.
    dpkg: error processing linux-generic (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                              Errors were encountered while processing:
     linux-generic
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)