Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for Gnome Shell 3.8 desktop with ease-of-use and polish as Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Looking for Gnome Shell 3.8 desktop with ease-of-use and polish as Ubuntu

Am now running openSUSE 12.3 64 bit with Gnome 3.8 from the stable repo. Have to say so far, despite a couple of known bugs, it's really really lovely. I'd have to recommend it to anyone looking for a great Gnome Shell experience.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    That's certainly been my experience. I find myself jumping in and out of Fedora. But, it does change often and significantly. If someone's focus is on the *process* of staying current with a moving target, it's great (much like Arch or Sid).

I'm not a Unity fan, so I put MATE and Plank on 12.04.
    Not sure about Arch (will give it a trial soon), but I would say Fedora is much more usable and stable than Sid. All upgrades have been handled fine, except once when upgrading Nvidia driver killed my graphic because there was a version mismatch between akmod-nvidia and the driver, but that was from rpm-fusion rawhide (not enabled by default) and I should have read carefully before upgrading. Finally dropped to command lines and fixed it and everything was good again. But in sid I keep on getting into dependencies issues like upgrading package x will remove packages a, b, c, d--- z on an almost daily basis.Also if you use the free graphic drivers Fedora is a lot more up to date than Sid (but less bleeding edge than xorg-edgers) I used that in Fedora 17 for a whole year and never had any issue. I am quite impressed with Fedora actually, it manages to combine usability and bleed edge nicely. Also, since the packages in Fedora are usually so fresh there is no need to install many ppas just to get up to date like in Ubuntu.

Now that Ubuntu is going semi -rolling, I sure hope that it will handle updates more like Fedora than sid!
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 4th, 2013 at 09:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Am now running openSUSE 12.3 64 bit with Gnome 3.8 from the stable repo. Have to say so far, despite a couple of known bugs, it's really really lovely. I'd have to recommend it to anyone looking for a great Gnome Shell experience.
    A week ago I tried to install Gnome 3.8 on openSUSE, but I couldn't get it working (X would crash every time). Glad to hear they fixed it.

I'm currently on Fedora 19, which to my surprise (after hearing stories of Fedora crashing) is as stable as any version of any distro I've ever used, despite it's beta status. Gnome 3.8 really is my favourite DE, by far. I love the extensions, mission-control, the integration with various apps, etc... Never understood the Gnome-Shell haters...

Beans

^^ A lot of that was when it first started. Same with KDE 4 really. Just so much that was new and not a whole lot of things to take advantage of it.

I agree though. I'm running 3.8 on 13.04 and it is stellar. Much more fluid than 3.6 and despite missing one or two extensions, it is far and away better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    A week ago I tried to install Gnome 3.8 on openSUSE, but I couldn't get it working (X would crash every time). Glad to hear they fixed it.
    Hi. All I would say to that is, did you do the vendor switch to the stable repo in YasT? On the last openSUSE (12.2) I remember trying to update to a newer version of Gnome only to end up with a borked system because I didn't do the switch. Don't want to be teaching grandma to suck eggs, but if you weren't aware of it it's worth checking.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Hi. All I would say to that is, did you do the vendor switch to the stable repo in YasT? On the last openSUSE (12.2) I remember trying to update to a newer version of Gnome only to end up with a borked system because I didn't do the switch. Don't want to be teaching grandma to suck eggs, but if you weren't aware of it it's worth checking.
    I did, and I also tried downloading a daily image as well. Maybe I'll try again tonite...
    Last edited by Mikeb85; June 7th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123