Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Gnome Shell 3.8 desktop with ease-of-use and polish as Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Looking for Gnome Shell 3.8 desktop with ease-of-use and polish as Ubuntu

F18 beta has been out for a couple of days. I haven't noticed any problems with 3.8.2; works well here. As always, read the release notes and the "Common Bugs" page.

If you install the beta, run "yum update" 'cause more than 300 updates will be waiting for you. Fedora is like that.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Don't know which version of gnome-shell Fedora 19 comes with, but just checked from Fedora 18 and found that gnome-shell 3.9.2 is in rawhide. I think rawhide is where packages from the next release will come. Would 3.9 be in Fedora 19 instead of 3.8? I don't know if installing that in Fedora 18 will break anything because my Fedora 18 is on KDE.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 1st, 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

3.9 is the next development release, I don't think it will be in the stable repositories of any distro.

The next stable version of gnome-shell after 3.8 will be 3.10.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As mentioned before, Fedora 19 with Gnome 3.8 is what you are looking for

A friendly warning: usually it takes a month, sometimes two, before all the bugs shake out of a new Fedora release - if you need stability. That said, Fedora is rock solid, if you install 2 months after release

You can cruise along nicely with Fedora, and have a fresh system, if you keep the above in mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ah -- gnome 3.8!!! Happy days --- so much that it makes me want to puke all over myself!!! Gnome 3.8 is terrible in my opinion, I'm just wondering why you would want this version compared to 3.6?

Beans

Though I'm currently using KDE with it, I have in the past run openSUSE with Gnome 3 and found it to be way more stable and enjoyable than the Fedora equivalent. I don't know why openSUSE gets overlooked with its Gnome edition, but it seems to me to be the best. I recently tried out 12.3 with Gnome and its pretty awesome still.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Don't know which version of gnome-shell Fedora 19 comes with, but just checked from Fedora 18 and found that gnome-shell 3.9.2 is in rawhide. I think rawhide is where packages from the next release will come. Would 3.9 be in Fedora 19 instead of 3.8? I don't know if installing that in Fedora 18 will break anything because my Fedora 18 is on KDE.
    Every odd numbered gnome release (ie. 3.5, 3.7, 3.9) is a development version so won't get released by gnome as stable version -- and so won't turn up in distro releases. As Fedora 19 is already in beta, the software versions are frozen so it's going to get the version listed in the repo database.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    ...I need something stable for everyday use... is there any Ubuntu-like distro with great ease-of-use, just-as-good fontset, and easily installable multimedia support?
    Just a thought: bleeding edge usually includes a few bugs, so stability can be rough; Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS is stable, smooth and fast

I was running F18 Gnome 3.6 happily until recent Linux Kernel update that crippled my hardware - 3 weeks on, and still no fix.

Thought I would give that old Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS disk a try. Installed on my hardware, updated, and pleasantly surprised. A year later, and Unity 12.04LTS is rock solid and fast. I needed a good daily driver and it has the nice Ubuntu polish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Unity 12.04LTS is rock solid and fast...
    That's certainly been my experience. I find myself jumping in and out of Fedora. But, it does change often and significantly. If someone's focus is on the *process* of staying current with a moving target, it's great (much like Arch or Sid).

I'm not a Unity fan, so I put MATE and Plank on 12.04.

I happen to be using Debian Wheezy at the moment. As advertised, it's boringly stable. MATE works fine, but I find myself liking its implementation of Gnome 3.4.2. Sooner or later, something will annoy me and I'll move on.

(BTW, MATE fans really ought to look at the new Mint 15 release. I'd likely be using it if only its default kernel wasn't panic happy on my hardware.)

Beans

I kinda like Unity (not the dash or global menus so much, but it's mostly fine.) Except for the fact that it is intolerably slow and buggy on my hardware. There was a time when I had problems in Gnome Shell and KDE also. But those desktops were fixed and the current versions run fine. But Unity is intolerably unusable. The dash takes half an hour to open (seemingly). It refuses to close if there is any video or anything behind it. The default animations make windows get stuck midway when minimizing, and the whole desktop hangs. This is not something that I want to use. Maybe when Unity 8 rewrite is here, it will be better, who knows. I've given up on the Gnome Shell paradigm also. It was starting to annoy me greatly and not being so much of a workspaces user, coming from windows, I found that it was not a very good DE for me. I'm using cinnamon on Mint 15 now, and I like it very much, especially with Void panel theme and Faience-mod window theme, it looks pretty neat. Unity will have to get it's act together, especially on performance issues.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast