Thread: Catalyst driver for Radeon 3450

Beans

Catalyst driver for Radeon 3450

Just curious as I have random lockups with Unity 3D, and various corruption issues that don't happen when running on the open driver. I'm currently using Catalyst 13.1 legacy on Ubuntu 12.04 32bit on a Asus Radeon 3450 256Mb.

I used to have all kinds of issues when I last used AMD with Ubuntu a few years ago, it would be sad if the drivers are as terrible as they were then now..

Beans

Re: AMD Radeon Catalyst still useless on Linux/Ubuntu?

Your question "AMD Radeon Catalyst still useless on Linux/Ubuntu?" sounds like "Are you still beating your wife?". So: a loaded question. Which is hard to answer. Is that what you want?

Beans

Re: AMD Radeon Catalyst still useless on Linux/Ubuntu?

I just recently made a post requesting some help with a catalyst issue I've been having on my 7970M. Through the few months I've had this laptop (with switchable AMD graphics) here's what I can tell you:

1. Desktop AMD cards generally work well. There are a few bugs here and there, but ever since the Steam launch on Linux AMD seems to be putting a fair amount of effort behind fixing their desktop-tier drivers. Experiences, from what I've seen, tend to be acceptable-to-decent.

2. Laptop cards are still a huge mess. AMD's Enduro tech -- that is, the AMD/Intel swappable graphics -- is, as far as I can tell, still experimental. I *can* get the AMD card to work, but with some significant caveats: specifically, I've personally had issues with Xrandr support both in Ubuntu and Arch Linux.

If you're going to get a desktop Radeon you'll probably do alright. If you're looking at laptops, make sure you either get one that does not have switchable graphics, or else one that has a mux switch.

At the end of the day I would still recommend Nvidia over AMD.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Catalyst driver for Radeon 3450

Changed the thread title.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Please change the title back to what it was. I was trying to see the general state of the driver from various peoples replies, but now the post makes little sense when paired with that title..
    Last edited by Deviljho; May 30th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.

Beans

I think the issue was that your original post was pretty inflammatory. Saying something like "What is the current state of ATI drivers?" and then explaining that you've had poor experiences in the past would be a much more constructive way of starting a thread, instead of coming out of the gate negatively.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
    Please change the title back to what it was. I was trying to see the general state of the driver from various peoples replies, but now the post makes little sense when paired with that title..

If you feel that the two are not in sync then changing the post is easily done.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

So I have to change the post because you pop up from nowhere and decide to alter my title?

I've tried X/K/G/Ubuntu. Same deal each time. Open driver works ok, but is too slow for anything except rendering Compiz/Kwin. Catalyst causes a bunch of problems like it always seems to. Screen corruption, flickering, system freezing etc. None of which happens on the open driver..

Beans

Beans

Your original thread title "AMD Radeon Catalyst still useless on Linux/Ubuntu?" sounds like "flame-bait" to me.

From the Forum Rules (which you had to agree to in order to post here):

Section I - General Policy:, 3. Trolling, Attacks and Flaming: These are always forbidden., If a thread is flame-bait (appears to be intended to start an argument or is likely to cause an argument rather than enhance discussion, as in trolling), it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flame-bait comments in a post may be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion.
    The Forum moderator was doing you a favor in merely changing the thread title; under the Rules, they could have closed and locked your thread (or, removed it).
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.