Thread: Help! First timer with a c-60 Netbook.

Beans

Lightbulb Help! First timer with a c-60 Netbook.

Hey I would like to try Ubuntu but I'm not sure were to start. I have a mid-high end desktop and Acer Aspire 720 netbook with a c-60 cpu, 2gb of ram, and for now no hard drive. I would like to get a Sandisk 64GB ssd and use it for Youtube and connecting to my desktop with Windows 7 Pro while I'm away from home, Is this doable? Also while my ssd ships can I set it up on a virtual machine and copy the disk image over?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help! First timer with a c-60 Netbook.

Quote Originally Posted by agingerturtwig View Post
    ...use it for Youtube and connecting to my desktop with Windows 7 Pro while I'm away from home, Is this doable?
    Yes it's doable as long as you setup win7 and router (portforwarding) propperly. or better yet create a personal virtual network.

Also while my ssd ships can I set it up on a virtual machine and copy the disk image over?
    i wouldn't do that. install takes only about 20-30 minutes so you won't gain much. it would be better if do a propper install.

well you can still install it in virtual box on your win7 maschine to get used to it.

it might be a bit slow on C60. not sure. but you can try other versions like Xubutnu, Lubuntu or maybe Kubutnu and use KDE with netbook interface.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup