Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Website mirror now set in place complete with the iLBC section that has been giving me some grief. Added some 301 magic to catch links to my old MPlayer page. I am not sure at the moment whether the website might be a better home for this guide and its companion vlc guide than these Forums, traffic is so slow on both... might be a bigger audience on andrews-corner perhaps...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Thank you for this hugely helpful guide. It worked flawlessly. The 14.04 distribution mplayer has a bug that has been fixed in the source but not in the package yet, so being able to install from source will be important to many people. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mplayer/+bug/1352447 )

Beans

Good to hear that is has all worked out, just as I was thinking about moving this guide to a web page only as activity has been so low!
    BTW your link 404s, perhaps this one is better:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1352447

Beans

Thank you so much, Andrew, for this guide. Everything went smoothly for me with the exception of the downloads from videolan.org, which I had to do manually - a server message said the files had moved. Anyway, I now have a fully working mplayer with the SM Player front-end with which I am absolutely delighted. As a noob I would have had no chance on my own. My ageing HTPC machine has an embedded nvidia 9400 gpu (nvidia MCP7A chipset) with a Core 2 Duo, which I am about to upgrade to a faster Core 2 Quad. According to mplayer's FAQ I will need to recompile. Should I just repeat the same procedure from an appropriate point using the existing mplayer_build directory, perhaps using updated files from videolan.org, or do I need to do anything else? Also, I may upgrade to a more recent nvidia card (the 9400 doesn't handle scaling) at some point soon. Would I need to recompile again then? Thank you, again, for your work on this; it is very much appreciated.

Beans

Well really I should apologise for this guide, which is a little unmaintained for a while now! Most recent work has shifted here:

Build the svn MPlayer under the latest Ubuntu release
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/ubuntu/mplayer.html

which now deals with Vivid Vervet. I suspected that the Ubuntu Forums ideological policy of closing quiet threads might have claimed this guide sooner rather than later .

Rebuilding is always a good idea when newer libraries are installed and there is a section in both the older and newer guides to accommodate this. MPlayer development has slowed dramatically of late but still a good idea to recompile from time to time.

Good news with using rvm's PPA for SMTube is that it now catches the rebuilt version, the old version no longer worked with youtube and the entire program was almost abandoned by the author.

And thanks for finding the guide and finding it useful!!

Beans

And now because of a trickle of fan mail an update for Xenial Xerus:

Build the svn MPlayer under the latest Ubuntu release
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/ubuntu/mplayer.html

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567