Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local MoinMoin wiki?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Local MoinMoin wiki?

Yeah, I was hoping for the built-in server to work for what I'm doing. I really don't want to get into installing a bunch of services that'll need to be maintained by somebody after I'm gone, just for a fancy help file. I'm not really sure why it can't be done without even changing MoinMoin anyway. It's serving the wiki to port 8080, and since I'm using the computer it's running on I can see the wiki. All I need now is for other computers to be able to see port 8080 on that computer, right? Doesn't seem like it would need a full-blown web server for that. But like I said, I have no idea when it comes to this stuff. I appreciate all the help though. Very much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by hizaguchi View Post
    Yeah, I was hoping for the built-in server to work for what I'm doing. I really don't want to get into installing a bunch of services that'll need to be maintained by somebody after I'm gone, just for a fancy help file. I'm not really sure why it can't be done without even changing MoinMoin anyway. It's serving the wiki to port 8080, and since I'm using the computer it's running on I can see the wiki. All I need now is for other computers to be able to see port 8080 on that computer, right? Doesn't seem like it would need a full-blown web server for that. But like I said, I have no idea when it comes to this stuff. I appreciate all the help though. Very much!
    Nah, it must be setup to only accept traffic from localhost. The setting for that must be in a config file somewhere. Try emailing the moinmoin devs and see if they can help you.

-Wild

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Alrighty, I'll check with them. The config file is like 4 lines long though, so unless there are more of them somewhere I kinda worry that it's built to work that way. Thanks for all your help guys.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Ah ha, ghetto solution. I just installed the desktop edition of MoinMoin to the shared folder and now everybody can run the built in server for their own machine and see the pages at their own localhost. But all the files are stored in that central shared folder so changes apply to everybody. Not a perfect solution, but if I make a shortcut to the front page that launches the wiki server in the background, I don't think anybody will notice.

Edit: Even better solution. There is a config file missing from the desktop edition. The magic of copy and paste allows it to host the wiki to other computers. Works at least on the local network, dunno about further.
    Last edited by hizaguchi; July 14th, 2006 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Woohoo. It's on the server, it serves pages to everybody on the local network, and I finally got the access control list set up right. Which taught me one very important lesson: Notepad is a steaming pile of crap. It took me half an hour to get the access controls right, and finally I emailed it to myself, opened it on my laptop, cleaned up Notepad's formatting crap, sent it back, and it worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Glad you got it sorted.

Although just for future reference you should try XAMPP. It's Windows Apache MySQL PHP/Perl. You don't need much configuring at all.

Beans

I, too, am trying to do exactly the same thing as you did. Could you tell me what exactly was missing and how you got it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by hizaguchi View Post
    Woohoo. It's on the server, it serves pages to everybody on the local network, and I finally got the access control list set up right. Which taught me one very important lesson: Notepad is a steaming pile of crap. It took me half an hour to get the access controls right, and finally I emailed it to myself, opened it on my laptop, cleaned up Notepad's formatting crap, sent it back, and it worked.

Beans

OKAY, I am now able to access it from the entire network.

You have to edit the moin.py file and change the interface='localhost' to interface=' '

Beans

What's the current file name and location? I want to do the same.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is a three year old thread. If you need help with moinmoin,
    start a thread in the sever platforms sub-forum. This thread is closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12