Thread: Is there any realistic way of actually installing ubuntu 12.O4 on a macbook pro 5,1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Is there any realistic way of actually installing ubuntu 12.O4 on a macbook pro 5,1?

Hey guys,

I've been using ubuntu for the last 5 years, but can't for the life of me figure out how to get my USB flash drive "livecd" to boot. I've spent the last 9 hours trying, but to no avail.

I use unebootin to copy the image to the drive.

With the normal 12.O4 livecd, I get tons of graphics errors - basically I get a black screen with this:
    Fatal Server Error: No Screens Found
    I tried all sorts of combinations of boot options - nomodeset, acpi = off, ro via=723, etc. Not a single one of these will get me past a TTY terminal, with absolutely no hope of getting to a graphics desktop.
    --> My graphics card is an nVidia GeForce86OOM GT.

Then I tried the alternate CD. Again, big failure. I get another error:
    Failed to copy from cd-rom
    I don't know what to do anymore. Which version of the livecd will give me a chance of installing ubuntu on my mac?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Otherwise, I might ditch ubuntu and go for a different linux distro for this macbook.
    Last edited by asuastrophysics; July 8th, 2013 at 04:40 AM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Ubuntu Registered User #29486