Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to maintain a LAN link to information on an old, semi-retired family PC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to maintain a LAN link to information on an old, semi-retired family PC?

I have pretty much retired an old PC that labours under less 1GB RAM and an older CPU.......it contains 2 HDD that contain a fair amount of important, at least to me, information and photos. There is also a fair amount of space that might be handy as additional storage. It is happily running Ubuntu 10.04LTS. It has a wireless connection to our LAN but could be easily linked via Ethernet.

I would like to link to it periodically to look at and exchange files..........all of our home/LAN PCs run on Ubuntu....no Windows.

I'm looking for suggestions as to the best way to maintain a link that would provide access to these HDDs............I think the RAM available would be too weak for a server application?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to maintain a LAN link to information on an old, semi-retired family PC?

how much ram does it have then? and what kind of older CPU?

i am running a desktop on 256MB, 1,2Ghz CPU

for simple server 512MB is plenty.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Re: How to maintain a LAN link to information on an old, semi-retired family PC?

Any server app would be fine. You can use ftp, nfs, samba etc

Beans

SSH would be simplest to set up. Most file browsers can connect to a remote computer over ssh/sftp.

Just install openssh-server on the old system. Done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@mastablasta.............circa 2001, 512mb Ram and 1.2GHZ Celeron......do you use Ubuntu Server?

@mips..........thanks!

@lykwydchykyn..........It does sound like the simplest way to go but implications are that it may have inherent security problems?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'd probably run debian minimal (no GUI) on it as ubuntu server might be too heavy for it.

As long as you use a strong password for ssh, you should be "OK"
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtreed View Post
    @lykwydchykyn..........It does sound like the simplest way to go but implications are that it may have inherent security problems?
    Not sure where you got that idea from; ssh is as secure (if not moreso) than other file sharing systems.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Not sure where you got that idea from; ssh is as secure (if not moreso) than other file sharing systems.
    Encryption is awesome.

SSH is susceptible to brute force attacks, but if you are just using it internally, that shouldn't be a problem.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, I'm using SSH and it does the job as suggested.............and Is really pretty staight forward. I guess I was hoping there would be something more intuitive for other family members to use. Most are not interested in things 'IT'!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@mastablasta.............circa 2001, 512mb Ram and 1.2GHZ Celeron......do you use Ubuntu Server?
    I use chrunchbang with XFCE desktop (based on debian 6 = old stable). you tube videos in full screen are a bit laggy but in enlarged size are ok. just enough for my kid to watch some cartoons and heavy maschinery at work
    Thanks, I'm using SSH and it does the job as suggested.............and Is really pretty staight forward. I guess I was hoping there would be something more intuitive for other family members to use. Most are not interested in things 'IT'!
    i use SSH with key. i think user in this case needs to have a copy of the key and password. nut sure if brute force is easy on these...

anyway - you need a FTP server or rather sFTP. then you will be drag and drop the files to the server. Filezilla is one choice. maybe someone knows something lighter on resoruces.

to administer the server from another mashcine via browser you can use webmin.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast