Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to maintain a LAN link to information on an old, semi-retired family PC?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to maintain a LAN link to information on an old, semi-retired family PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtreed View Post
    Thanks, I'm using SSH and it does the job as suggested.............and Is really pretty staight forward. I guess I was hoping there would be something more intuitive for other family members to use. Most are not interested in things 'IT'!
    Check out NFS: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

It'll probably be easier to drag and drop than SSH (unless you use sshfs).
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Re: How to maintain a LAN link to information on an old, semi-retired family PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtreed View Post
    Thanks, I'm using SSH and it does the job as suggested.............and Is really pretty staight forward. I guess I was hoping there would be something more intuitive for other family members to use. Most are not interested in things 'IT'!
    Depending on which desktops you are using, you should be able to set up network locations in the file managers of the other computers to easily access the shares.

Let me ask this: how would you envision a friendly file-sharing service to look? Because there are tons of options, from raw file-sharing protocols to fancy browser-based Dropbox-like solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Has anybody tried or is using Mosh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Depending on which desktops you are using, you should be able to set up network locations in the file managers of the other computers to easily access the shares.

Let me ask this: how would you envision a friendly file-sharing service to look? Because there are tons of options, from raw file-sharing protocols to fancy browser-based Dropbox-like solutions.
    I guess I picture a 'setup' that can be accessed as simply as if the files are freely available as any on the 'client' machine......with little or no terminal use,

Say, once set up, browse to a location, drag&drop, flexible integration of the 'server'.

Beans

OK, there should be *no terminal use required* for someone to browse the computer over ssh. If the clients are using Nautilus or Thunar or PCManFM, they can enter "ssh://addressofserver" as the location, and be able browse the filesystem on the server. In dolphin, it's "fish://addressofserver". If you have the ability to resolve hostnames on your LAN (some routers do this automatically), even better.

I use dolphin on my system, so I don't know what this looks like under other file browsers, but under "Places" I can click "Network" and there's a wizard that guides me through setting up a shortcut to a network share using WebDAV, FTP, Samba, or SSH. All very simple, no terminal required. I'm assuming Nautilus and others have a similar feature.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Many thanks for your help and patience regarding a 'project' that now appears to be so easy and obvious.

Nautilus does the job in very easy to follow steps and is simple enough to use in 12.04LTS......we can use SSH, SFTP and FTP without making any drastic changes.

.....your help is very much appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12