Thread: How do I disable screen-off on a new X?

Beans

How do I disable screen-off on a new X?

Hello guys,

I'm running my games (using wine) on a separate X in order to get a little better performance, however after 15min the screen goes off and I have to move my mouse to turn it back on.
    There is no problem when I'm playing shooting games, because obviously I use the mouse and the problem does not show up, however when I use my gamepad it is very frustrated...
    Does anyone know how to disable this from the terminal?
    I have already disabled the screen-off on my ubuntu, but on the new X it appears... i suppose every separate X has its settings??

Beans

Re: How do I disable screen-off on a new X?

100+ views and no reply?
    how is it so difficult to disable screen-off functionality, that nobody knows how to do it?

Beans

Screen blanking can be shut off with xset (dependant whether or not something else other than DPMS is handling this on your seperate X session (hard to say since you didn't say which window manager you are running on server :1 )). Try this:
    Code:
    xset -dpms
    xset s off

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    Screen blanking can be shut off with xset (dependant whether or not something else other than DPMS is handling this on your seperate X session (hard to say since you didn't say which window manager you are running on server :1 )). Try this:
    Code:
    xset -dpms
    xset s off
    Well, thank you for your answer.
    Unfortunately, this does not work...

I have created a script with the following code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

xinit /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Pro Evolution Soccer 2013" %F $* -- :3 & nvidia-settings --load-config-only
    Adding the commands you provided me with to the script does not stop the blanking.
    Any other ideas?

Beans

Are you running the xset commands from :3 or from the xsession you are loading the game from? If you are running that command from 0 you may need to do something like "xset -dpms -display :3" and "xset s off -display :3" so that it exports the display you wish to apply it to. Also, make sure you have xset and that it is working ("which xset" should return xset path). Other than that I am unsure.