Thread: fix bad sectors/blocks on NTFS hdd with dd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

fix bad sectors/blocks on NTFS hdd with dd?

I know how to smart-fix bad blocks on a Linux partition without reformatting the whole partition, but by specifically rewriting the sectors in question by calculating their position. I followed this guide:
    http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html
    This is a quick way to get rid of pending sectors.

However, I'd like to know how to do this for NTFS partitions? Does anyone know how or can point me to an instruction?

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: fix bad sectors/blocks on NTFS hdd with dd?

You have to boot a Windows OS the check/repair NTFS partitions, Linux can't do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

As an alternative, if you know someone with a Windows PC, have them download and burn the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD.

Then, boot from that and use the Check option against the partition in question. That will run CHKDSK for you.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. I know about CHKDSK, but I wanted a quick way to rewrite the bad sectors. CHKDSK checks the whole partition and it'd take ages for a 3TB hdd :-/ In Linux, I can use the technique described in the link I have given. It's a very quick way with dd and I wanted to know if there is an equivalent for NTFS partitions, so that I can specificially only rewrite those bad sectors instead of having to run a maintenance on the whole partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    As an alternative, if you know someone with a Windows PC, have them download and burn the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD.

Then, boot from that and use the Check option against the partition in question. That will run CHKDSK for you.
    I downloaded and burned MiniTool Partition Wizard Boot CD in Ubuntu and burned the image with K3B. I am able to boot to this disk and it seems functional. I ran a "Surface Test" on an external NTFS disk, but the option to Check the disk for errors (this presumably is chkdsk) is grayed out and unavailable.

EDIT: Minitool disk says that partition must have a letter designation to run "Check the Disk". It provides an option to change letter designation but unfortunately that option is greyed out also and is unavailable
    Last edited by SuperFreak; May 29th, 2013 at 02:42 AM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro

Hello, thanks for all the replies. Meanwhile, I decided to backup my data and reformat the hdd to ext4 for easier handling in the future. Currently, I am transfering back my data from the backup. Happy to be 100% Linux now