Thread: Chrubuntu 12.04 - No ttyUSB# access

Beans

Chrubuntu 12.04 - No ttyUSB# access

I am using an Acer C7 Chromebook that is running Chrubuntu 12.04. This is a version of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS configured for running on the Chromebook. The /dev/ folder in Chrubuntu does not have ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 or ttyUSB2 files.

I am trying to use it with a couple of pieces of ham radio accessories, that both plug into a USB port. I installed the manufacturer's linux software, but these items are not found on the C7. Both items work on a Windows machine, so there must be some kind of access rights issue related to Chrubuntu. I did get one of these pieces to run on an old IBM T-22 running Ubuntu 8.04.

Seems like I need to get the ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 or ttyUSB2 files installed on Chrubuntu.

TIA for any help.

Cal

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Chrubuntu 12.04 - No ttyUSB# access

Try this:

sudo apt-get install modem-cmd

and see if that works.
    Here's the file description:

send arbitrary AT commands to your modem

modem-cmd can be used to send arbitrary AT commands to a modem device over
    a serial line.

This means it can be used as a phone dialer:

$ modem-cmd /dev/ttyUSB0 ATDT123456

BTW, I had never heard of ttyUSB. I fired up Synaptic (which you should install) and typed 'ttyusb' into the quick filter. It brought up modem-cmd. Just wanted to help. I hope this does what you want.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Re: Chrubuntu 12.04 - No ttyUSB# access

Quote Originally Posted by ckuter View Post
    I am using an Acer C7 Chromebook that is running Chrubuntu 12.04. This is a version of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS configured for running on the Chromebook. The /dev/ folder in Chrubuntu does not have ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 or ttyUSB2 files.

I am trying to use it with a couple of pieces of ham radio accessories, that both plug into a USB port. I installed the manufacturer's linux software, but these items are not found on the C7. Both items work on a Windows machine, so there must be some kind of access rights issue related to Chrubuntu. I did get one of these pieces to run on an old IBM T-22 running Ubuntu 8.04.

Seems like I need to get the ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 or ttyUSB2 files installed on Chrubuntu.

TIA for any help.

Cal
    I am in the exact same situation as you. I am trying to access my printer and am unable to do so. I first thought it was Octoprint's fault, but then Repetier Host didn't work either. All that is available is tty0-tty63. There are not any ttyUSB* files nor any ttyS* files. If anyone has any ideas, please chime in. If I can't get this working by friday, I'll have to take my whole desktop across town with me