Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug #1 has been closed by Mark Shuttleworth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Bug #1 has been closed by Mark Shuttleworth.

I presume this is better than "Won't Fix".
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Fair enough. 10 years ago it was either Windows or Mac. Or no pre-installed OS at all (unlikely, mostly available for customized desktop configurations). And installing (let alone seriously using) Linux was not for the faint of heart.

I may dislike what Ubuntu is today but it's definitely helped change the landscape.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I would like to see an intelligent politician (some hope!) stop Widows being pre-paid for by the OEMs.
    Unless it is branded as a Microsoft product the option to register and pay should be on the first boot-up.
    So when you switch on your Asus for the first time you would get a choice, buy Windows for £90 or buy Ubuntu for £0. They could both be pre-installed.
    The Windows "tax" should be illegal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    I would like to see an intelligent politician (some hope!) stop Widows being pre-paid for by the OEMs.
    Unless it is branded as a Microsoft product the option to register and pay should be on the first boot-up.
    So when you switch on your Asus for the first time you would get a choice, buy Windows for £90 or buy Ubuntu for £0. They could both be pre-installed.
    Why should Ubuntu get this political support but not the rest two hundred dists. And you could also question way the dists is allowed to choose the default software. Maybe all third part software in all dists should be choosed before installation.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Actually, you may not even be able to boot wipe Windows off your computer without agreeing to MS's EULA first.

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/24869.html

Sorry to rain on Mark's parade. In view of the strangle hold MS still has on hardware manufacturers as exemplified by schemes such a s restricted boot bug #1 is far from being fixed. It only signal Canonical's shifting focus away from the desktop (laptops), which many of us still use for actual work rather than gossips (social media) and surfing.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 30th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.

Beans

Yeah, I don't really see how this is fixed. The only difference between now and then is that now a lot of people do their "computing" on tablets and phones, which are dominated by Android and Apple.

Beans

Because it was a stupid bug to begin with? Bugs should be reserved for actual bad code?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Because it was a stupid bug to begin with? Bugs should be reserved for actual bad code?
    Perhaps Mark Shuttleworth knows that we actually all live in the Matrix and so it actually is ​code.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What's really scary is that many Computer Scientists an Phyicists say that, given the incredible acceleration of computing power, we could actually be in a simulated universe in some teenager's garage a hundred years from now in our universe.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast