Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best distro for a netbook?

Beans

Best distro for a netbook?

Hello. This is my first experience with Linux, so I would really like some advice on which distro to use. I am using a netbook, a HP Mini 210-4150NR with only 1 GB of RAM. Windows 7 is so bloated on this thing that it randomly lags itself into blue screening. What distro should I use to achieve the best results on this machine? I am a writing major, so something that would run well with Microsoft Word would be extremely nice. Fubuntu looked nice, at least until I found out the project ended. Any suggestions?

Beans

Re: Best distro for a netbook?

If you want a distro based on Ubuntu but lighter on the performance, try Lubuntu.

It comes pre-installed with Abiword (a very lightweight word processor, but has less features than LibreOffice).

Beans

That could work. Would running Microsoft Word kill my performance, however? I am required to use it for my Copy Editing class due to computability issues and the tools Word has for commentary and editing.

Beans

Microsoft Word is a Windows application and runs best in Windows.

I would recommend upgrading your hardware, then you can run Windows and Microsoft Word with good performance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I dont know about word, though I have a 900ha which has 1g of ram and 1.5 atom processor and it runs the standard ubuntu fine

Beans

I did a little research, and I found out that some versions of Word can run in Linux, using an emulator called WINE: Check it out:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=10

Like Primefalcon, I have a 900ha. I've done some word processing on it using Xfce desktop and Libreoffice, with an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard.
    Last edited by snowpine; May 18th, 2013 at 04:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You should be able to run 32 bit Ubuntu just fine on 1 GB and run LibreOffice. I am a college student and LibreOffice works great as long as you install the " Ubuntu restricted extras" from the software center in terms of compatibility.
    Last edited by DMGrier; May 18th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Microsoft Word is a Windows application and runs best in Windows.

I would recommend upgrading your hardware, then you can run Windows and Microsoft Word with good performance.
    I agree with snowpine, add some more RAM and it should work better.

As for using Word, ask if you can submit your work in PDF format. Libre Office may not be 100% Word compatible but will certainly create nice PDFs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

as desktop Ubuntu and Kubutnu (with netbook plasma) are both good options for those small screens.

Word in wine or use Libre office. Or use widnows XP if oyu can't increase the ram. hwoever with 2 GB ram windows 7 starter should do ok.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I think I'm going to run Word in Wine. Actually, I kind of have no choice. I love the PDF idea, but I cannot do that as part of the class, and my career of choice, is editing the work of my peers in-document. The commentary and the corrections need to be in the original document or a correction could be missed or copied over wrong, or a comment not seen or cut off by the conversion. I love OpenOffice and have used it on another computer, but I cannot run the risk of compatibility issues popping up, not when my grade and future career is at stake : (

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast