Thread: How To Move Recorded Shows from directv R16-300?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Unhappy How To Move Recorded Shows from directv R16-300?

Hi All,
    I have a directv dvr R16-300, it's standard def. When I got the service, over 3 years ago, they told me I could download any recorded shows to my computer from this dvr, by using the usb port on the back. Well, I finally tried that yesterday and found that is a LIE. The usb port is not activated at all. I did some searching on their site, and found that this is not a feature they offer. I have some recorded shows, (sci-fi) that I want to move to my computer so I can back them up on DVDs. I don't want to do anything but keep the series episodes that I already paid for, to watch on my DVD player later. (nothing illegal). Can someone please tell me how to get these shows off of this dvr? I know someone much smarter than me, must have figured this out!
    Thanks!
    -RP
    Ubuntu 11.10
    Learning Linux and Loving it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How To Move Recorded Shows from directv R16-300?

I did this a couple years ago. We had a DVD recorder which made it easy. Just hooked up composite video (yellow plug) and sound and I was in business. I know some video capture devices work with linux but don't really know which ones. If I were looking for info on such things, there's an multimedia and video forum here or I'd google mythbuntu.

The USB port being present but inactive is common, Verizon FiOS DVRs have the same situation. I presume that DirecTV, Verizon et. al. haven't demonstrated an ability to control copying of their precious content via the USB port to the content providers' satisfaction.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I did this a couple years ago. We had a DVD recorder which made it easy. Just hooked up composite video (yellow plug) and sound and I was in business. I know some video capture devices work with linux but don't really know which ones. If I were looking for info on such things, there's an multimedia and video forum here or I'd google mythbuntu.

The USB port being present but inactive is common, Verizon FiOS DVRs have the same situation. I presume that DirecTV, Verizon et. al. haven't demonstrated an ability to control copying of their precious content via the USB port to the content providers' satisfaction.
    Hi Kurt,
    Thanks for the reply. Does the way you did your backup to DVD require recording the shows one by one, in real full time?
    Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro

I have about 30 episodes of 2 separate shows that I need to move off of the DVR. I don't want to have to play them in real time, and have to watch them, just to move them off the DVR. I want to move them to the computer, (or burn them to DVDs) and be able to watch them later, at MY convenience. If I have to play each one, in full length, just to burn them, or move them, it kind of defeats the whole purpose? (and ties up too much time). This DVR is getting too full to keep recording anything else while these shows are on it.
    I'm hoping there is a different type of DVR I can buy to replace this stupid R16-300. At MINIMUM it would have to record 2 shows at once, like the R16-300 does, and also let me move my shows off of it, to the computer, to be watched or archived on DVDs for later viewing. I am furious that DirecTV lied to me when I switched to them, and got this stupid R16-300 DVR! I pay all this money every month, and I can't even do what I want with the shows that I PAID for?
    Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

When my Verizon DVR box crapped out on me, they replaced it (for free) -- but they failed to tell me that ALL the videos I recorded to the attached external drive would be LOST! I did a LOT of research on this, and discovered that (at least in the U.S.) this is a movie industry requirement on DVR manufacturers -- that you can't migrate the recordings to another device. I'm not saying every DVR is like this, but this does seem to be a "standard" practice.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Return Privacy View Post
    Hi Kurt,
    Thanks for the reply. Does the way you did your backup to DVD require recording the shows one by one, in real full time?
    Sadly, yes. I only had about 10 hrs. of shows I cared about so it wasn't too bad.