Thread: unable to mount ntfs partition

Beans

unable to mount ntfs partition

Can anyone help?
    I have installed ubuntu 12.04LTS on a new hard drive on an old desktop.
    The old drive (sdb) has Windows XP that is inaccessible.
    When I try to mount sdb2, I get this:

jonathan@jonathan-Dimension-5100:~$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb2/mnt/win_nfts[sudo] password for jonathan:Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.highest_vcn = 0x1213b, last_vcn - 1 = 0x16c1fFailed to load $MFT: Input/output errorFailed to mount '/dev/sdb2': Input/output errorNTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's aSoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windowsthen reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is veryimportant! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activateit and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g./dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentationfor more details.

I have tried nfts-3g but am a newbie and am lost with that.My objective here is to be able to boot Windows XP to enable me to use some windows programs there and/or access old files residing there.Any help will be appreciated - I have scoured the forums without success.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: unable to mount ntfs partition

Start running
    Code:
    chkdsk /f
    on Windows then reboot into Windows twice according to the advice and let us know the result.

Beans
    Hidden!

If Windows won't boot, you can make a Bart PE or Windows 7 PE pendrive, boot from it and run chkdsk /f

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

IF you know someone with access to a Windows PC, have them download and burn the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD.

Boot from that on your PC and use the option to Check the windows disk. That will run CHKDSK for you.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb2/mnt/win_nfts
    Is that a typo, or did you miss a space between /dev/sdb2 and /mnt/win_ntfs? I don't think you would get that error simply from missing a space, but what do I know- - -?

Also, do you already have the /mnt/win_ntfs folder in existence?