Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shielddsup at GRC.com shows Ports 20/21 and 500 are visible to the internet.

Beans

Shielddsup at GRC.com shows Ports 20/21 and 500 are visible to the internet.

I just moved from a dialup connection to DSL from Frontier. I have a NetGear 7550 router. When I ran GRC with dialup everything was STEALTH. Now I get that port 20,21 & 500 are visible but blocked. How can I get them so they are also STEALTH. I'm using the FW in the router at MAX. I also still have UFW running. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Shielddsup at GRC.com shows Ports 20/21 and 500 are visible to the internet.

Closed is the same thing as "Stealth." Steath is just a fancy term Gibson uses to tell you "we probed this port, but got not answer back"

Closed = Packet was rejected with a ICMP packet
    "Stealth" = Packet was silently dropped

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you really want to know more information about what ports are open or closed, you could always use nmap.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Re: Shielddsup at GRC.com shows Ports 20/21 and 500 are visible to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Closed is the same thing as "Stealth." Steath is just a fancy term Gibson uses to tell you "we probed this port, but got not answer back" Closed = Packet was rejected with a ICMP packet "Stealth" = Packet was silently dropped I wouldn't worry about it, but if you really want to know more information about what ports are open or closed, you could always use nmap.
    Well to me STEALTH is like having a house that is invisible on your street vs having a house that is visible but the door is locked. I want to be totally invisible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertones View Post
    Well to me STEALTH is like having a house that is invisible on your street vs having a house that is visible but the door is locked. I want to be totally invisible.
    No such thing as being completely invisible unless you are not connected to the Internet. Even if you drop ICMP packets, you can still be found if someone is determined enough.

The whole "closed vs stealth" argument is security thru obscurity and does nothing to prevent a determined attacker.

With that being said, if you have no open ports, there is nothing to attack, or why are you concerned about the "totally invisible" vs "door are locked" issue?

Beans

I used to be invisible with dial-up and with DSL I'm not. Just wondering why. Can I become invisible?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I used to be invisible with dial-up and with DSL I'm not. Just wondering why. Can I become invisible?
    Check the settings on your router.

Beans

OK. What do I look for and what do I change? Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK. What do I look for and what do I change? Thanks
    Depends on what modem/router you have. Do you know what model it is?

By the way, this is a good read:
    http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/05/3...rts-or-closed/

Beans

Netgear 7550

Beans

OK that made sense to me. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast