Thread: Radeon HD6450 graphics card and drivers - Put where/how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Radeon HD6450 graphics card and drivers - Put where/how?

System: 2009 Dell Inspiron 537s(slim), Core Duo E8400(3.3GHz OC), 4GB, WD 320GB HD, Radeon HD6450 graphic, Dual boot:Vista/Ubuntu12.04LTS

Noob Question#1: Got the new graphic card 2 weeks a ago. Has a driver CD, but said: Only for Windows!
    I know I could put the CD in Windows (Vista). (Not yet though.)

But in boot time, Ubuntu, my display stopped dead, have to start boot with Linux 'Recover Mode'......

Do I have to get a Radeon driver in a Ubuntu version? In www.radeon.com or someplace else?
    (Vista starts fine any time.)

Thanks,
    Rick

p

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Radeon HD6450 graphics card and drivers - Put where/how?

The Additional Drivers program in Ubuntu will download and install the official AMD driver for you.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by RickFAA View Post
    But in boot time, Ubuntu, my display stopped dead, have to start boot with Linux 'Recover Mode'......
    first things first. to boot use one of the boot options. try nomodeset first and see if that boots you to desktop. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

then you can download linux drivers from AMD website and compile them manually. this way you can insall beta drivers. porblem is this has to be repeated on each kernel update. and they happen about once a week maybe once every two weeks. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

my opinion though is that you do not need beta drivers. stable drivers can be installed in a more easy way.in softweare center with additional drivers utility. these would then get automatic updates along with system updates. stable version. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/drivers
    Last edited by mastablasta; May 27th, 2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: i've added a few how-to links
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Ubuntu automatically installs the default Radeon drivers for you. Unless you need GPU temp control or advanced features offered by Catalyst Control Center, there is no reason to struggle with installing the restricted AMD drivers.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.