Thread: Dash Crash

Beans

Dash Crash

Ubuntu 12.10. Even from a fresh install, Dash will crash if moused-over. Sometimes a program can be successfully launched, but most often the cursor freezes and that's the end. The mouse still works. From another post, I learned that [Alt-F2] also works, and will kick me out to a terminal - and being absolutely new to Linux, also not very useful to me. I've learned ways around Dash (Cairo is great!), but there it sits - a landmine at the top of my monitor.

Graphicswise, I am using 8 year old motherboard-integrated Intel video.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Dash Crash

With this kind of hardware, I recommend installing a different desktop.
    MATE should run just fine on your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Try Ctrl + Alt + T to open a terminal and check for Unity support with the following command because of your older hardware.
    Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    If there is a yes to all questions try to reset Unity
    Code:
    setsid unity
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Well, the unity test gave yes answers to all questions, however compiz didn't like it and started Unity emulation in software.

compiz (core) - Info: Unity is not supported by your hardware. Enabling software rendering instead (slow).

WARN 2013-02-19 18:24:40 unity.libindicator <unknown>:0 Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-writer.desktop' is using a deprecated format for its actions that will be dropped soon.

ERROR 2013-02-19 18:24:43 nux.gestures_subscription GesturesSubscription.cpp:364 Failed to set Geis subscription configuration com.canonical.oif.rotate.timeout

Soooooo - that didn't exactly fly. But it did spit out lots of error lines. There were 8 or more of the last error relating to nux.gestures.

Beans

hey i was suffering with the same problem and i solved it!! check out this article it may help you http://forzeal.com/ubuntu-dash-home-crash/