Thread: Ubuntu fills my memory like crazy - what can I do?

Beans

Question Ubuntu fills my memory like crazy - what can I do?

Hi,

I recently got a new laptop. Its quite fast, and its a good laptop, and it has 8 Gb of RAM.

The problem I have is that when starting up Ubuntu, and opening Google Chrome, playing a few youtube videos, going on a few websites, my RAM usage has jumped up to 60%, or so says the memory indicator I have on the top panel. My computer starts to get slow if I do anything massive as well - If I use a virtual machine for a bit then close it, the memory stays high and the computer stays slow. Quickly and Glade UI Designer also cause a lot of this.

At the moment, I am using unity and compiz with a lot of effects turned on. I switched over to Gnome 2.x without, and it seemed to be fine, although then again I didnt exactly test it. I like Unity though, I dont want to switch.

My question is - what can I do to improve this? Is there some handy little background daemon software that automatically cleans the caches or something? Because I would have thought that Ubuntu (technically I use Mint 14, but its based heavily off Ubuntu and Ive customised it so much that it pretty much is Ubuntu) could handle with 8 Gb on RAM on this laptop...

Its just a little annoying that, although Google Chrome is a very intensive program in terms of memory, the CPU Monitor is telling me that it alone with only 4 tabs open, one with youtube, is using 1.9 Gb of RAM...

Thanks for any suggestions, I really appretiate them.

Barry Smith

P.S: Dont feel too pressed to answer, its not an urgent issue. Its just annoying that I have to reboot every few hours because my computer gets slow...
    Last edited by Artificial Intelligence; May 27th, 2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added prefix

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Ubuntu fills my memory like crazy - what can I do?

Hi zesterer.

Could you please post what graphics card you are using?
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    Moved to Other OS/Distro Support.
    Eh...??? What 'Other Distro" did the o/p mention...? They're using Ubuntu...
    Last edited by robert shearer; May 27th, 2013 at 07:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    Eh...??? What 'Other Distro" did the o/p mention...? They're using Ubuntu...
    the OP says he is using mint.

OP,

as far as your memory problem do you have a swap partition by any chance? If not that may help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zesterer View Post
    Hi,

I recently got a new laptop. Its quite fast, and its a good laptop, and it has 8 Gb of RAM.

The problem I have is that when starting up Ubuntu, and opening Google Chrome, playing a few youtube videos, going on a few websites, my RAM usage has jumped up to 60%, or so says the memory indicator I have on the top panel. My computer starts to get slow if I do anything massive as well - If I use a virtual machine for a bit then close it, the memory stays high and the computer stays slow. Quickly and Glade UI Designer also cause a lot of this.

At the moment, I am using unity and compiz with a lot of effects turned on. I switched over to Gnome 2.x without, and it seemed to be fine, although then again I didnt exactly test it. I like Unity though, I dont want to switch.

My question is - what can I do to improve this? Is there some handy little background daemon software that automatically cleans the caches or something? Because I would have thought that Ubuntu (technically I use Mint 14, but its based heavily off Ubuntu and Ive customised it so much that it pretty much is Ubuntu) could handle with 8 Gb on RAM on this laptop...

Its just a little annoying that, although Google Chrome is a very intensive program in terms of memory, the CPU Monitor is telling me that it alone with only 4 tabs open, one with youtube, is using 1.9 Gb of RAM...

Thanks for any suggestions, I really appretiate them.

Barry Smith

P.S: Dont feel too pressed to answer, its not an urgent issue. Its just annoying that I have to reboot every few hours because my computer gets slow...
    A great article on disk caching:

Help! Linux ate my RAM!

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; May 27th, 2013 at 08:09 AM.

Beans

I do have swap space, and I have set up hibernation with it. However, I think it might be a bit small, at only 6 Gb or something :S I havent tested hibernation in a while though...

EDIT: My home folder is encrypted, as is my swap space if that makes any difference...

With regards to my graphics card, here is my system summary...

-Computer-Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
    Memory : 5979MB (3524MB used)
    Operating System : Linux Mint 14 Nadia
    User Name : barry (Barry Smith)
    Date/Time : Mon 27 May 2013 09:39:17 BST
    -Display-
    Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
    OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
    X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
    -Multimedia-
    Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
    -Input Devices-
    Power Button
    Lid Switch
    Power Button
    AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
    2.4G Wireless Mouse
    Video Bus
    Video Bus
    Dell WMI hotkeys
    Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_HD
    HDA Intel PCH HDMI/DP,pcm : 3=
    HDA Intel PCH Mic
    HDA Intel PCH Headphone
    ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad
    -Printers (CUPS)-
    Photosmart-C4200-series : <i>Default</i>
    -SCSI Disks-
    ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M
    MATSHITA DVD+-RW UJ8D1
    Generic- xD/SD/M.S.

Is this any help? I found that the memory is fine if I use Epiphany web browser and other lightweight software, but its annoying as this is a pretty good computer and Mint really should be able to cope with it...

Thanks for all the replies,

Barry Smith
    Last edited by zesterer; May 27th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.