Thread: Mouse Locks To Centre Of Screen

Beans

Question Mouse Locks To Centre Of Screen

I just moved to Ubuntu last week (like I just scraped windows, the only OS on my drive is Ubuntu) and I like to multi-task alot. However when I'm in some full screen games, like zsnes I cannot move the mouse, even when minimized. The mouse remains locked to the centre of my screen no matter what. My only solution is to close out the program that is creating the issue. Is there another solution for this, like a setting I can disable a setting in Terminal or in the shell? Also, if anyone knows, I am also curious to understand why this happens. I would really prefer to avoid using a VM for applications that cause this issue as they are usually games, and games do not run well in a VM on an ATI/AMD video card

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Mouse Locks To Centre Of Screen

I've had that problem in Windows 7, but never with Ubuntu (or any of its derivitaves), and I can only suggest that you try a different mouse. I'll admit that trying a different mouse didn't work with Windows; I had to boot into Safe Mode and let it reinstall mysteriously disappeared drivers.

When all else fails, you can always CTRL-ALT-F1, log in to that screen, then do a sudo shutdown -r now to restart the system.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I found what may be the same issue here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ter/+bug/61105at the bottom someone mentions that the issue still exists in ubuntu 12.04. In addition it does appear to be "Jumping to the screen". A good tug on the mouse make it appear in a different place on the screen, but on the next screen refresh it is back in the centre. I tried rebooting from the shell, it had no effect. I also tried a different mouse

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I cannot kill un-clutter as it is not installed
    Last edited by kschlichther; August 27th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Maybe you could try to launch zsnes with different configs?

http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/ht...m#config_files

It's documented for zsnes 1.5.1, you can check which version you got install with:

Code:
    dpkg -s zsnes | grep Version
    This is my signature

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Maybe you could try to launch zsnes with different configs?

http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/ht...m#config_files

It's documented for zsnes 1.5.1, you can check which version you got install with:

Code:
    dpkg -s zsnes | grep Version

I have the correct version, I tired fiddling about with some mouse related settings, no luck. In general it seems that any openGL application does this, similar to the bug I linked to above