Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250 Driver/flgrxv

Beans

AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250 Driver/flgrxv

I have a big issue here

I have a AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250 and when i install the fglrxv and i reboot it wont show the whole unity desktop like no launcher and no upper bar,

if i shouldnt be using fglrxv how do i install the driver i downlaoded off the amd site and make sure that the unity stuff stays

i have ubuntu 13.04 and its like fresh and brand new and its fully up to date.

please assist me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250 Driver/flgrxv

Hello!

The first thing is that the fglrx driver you will find in the repo is the same driver you will find on AMD/ATI's website -- which Canonical gets from AMD/ATI prior to release to the general public. It has just been packaged for the repo. Downloading and installing from the AMD/ATI website will do you no good.

Unfortunately, AMD/ATI has dropped driver support and development for all cards prior to HD 5000 series. That means that your HD 4000 series will not work with any version of Ubuntu later than 12.04.1, which is to say 12.04.2 and later.

This is not a problem with Ubuntu, but a decision on the part of AMD/ATI.

There are methods given on the web for downgrading X Server, patching the kernel and installing a legacy version of the driver. However, I recommend so strongly against that that I don't provide links or suggestions for doing that. I am opposed to such methods for two reasons:

1. Using them effectively breakes your installation and nobody can say for sure what sort of problems you will encounter with updates/upgrades in the future. Although you can hold some packages to avoid updates, holding those may mean you either can't update other packages or you will end up with broken packages later. Few of the PPAs and scripts that do the work tell you what you are doing to your system or inform you about the potential future effects of their use.

2. Those older cards will work with Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.04.1, which still have 4 years of support left -- and you don't have to worry about a broken system.

As I see it, you have two choices:

1. Back up to Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.04.1 with the fglrx driver in the 12.04 repo and use it for 4 years without worrying about breakage -- as long as you don't install a newer driver.

2. If you use 12.04.2 or later, use the default open source Radeon driver that is present when you install Ubuntu. The developers of the Radeon driver have done some very hard work on improvements and the driver is really good now. Although it may not have many of the features of the proprietary driver, it at least works with earlier cards and later versions of Ubuntu.

I'm sorry I don't have better news.

Best wishes!
    Last edited by QIII; May 26th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

can u give me a guide on hwo to do this i badly need my drivers :/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As I said, I won't give you instructions on how to break your system if you are using 12.04.2 or later.

Would you prefer to install 12.04 or 12.04.1?

Beans

not really but i jsut want to get the drivers working to be real with you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

OK.

I won't help you do that on 13.04 because I feel so strongly about it. However, there are a couple of people who would probably be willing to help. If Temujin answers the thread, you can trust absolutely in his technical expertise and be assured you will not be led astray.

Do not PM him. He will probably not answer a PM request for help and we don't like that anyway, since PMs don't show up on the forum for others to learn from.

Best wishes.

Beans

thanks btw i cant find version.h

Beans

can i downgrade install teh drivers then reupgrade?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No, unfortunately not. When you upgrade from, say 12.04, you really should uninstall the fglrx driver first. Leaving drivers installed when upgrading is a very good way to have the upgrade fail.

Beans

oh well is there really nothign i can do about my graphics card because i wanna play some games

can i install the windows drivers with wine and use it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast