Thread: Can I clean the slate

Beans

Can I clean the slate

Hi,

I have been a Ubuntu user since 2005. I have contributed to the Linux community through the Jcuda project. I have actively created and administered Ubuntu based computer systems for 6 not-for-profit community groups. I have written many white hat articles on using Ubuntu for community volunteer systems and presented them publicly and under the full scrutiny of peer review..

Back in July 2012 I, like many, was discouraged with the Unity desktop as I faced the end of the Lynx support period. I (any many others) had a knee-jerk reaction and – spirited as I am about Ubuntu - I had a post on July 18, 2012 that was a bit hot headed and resulted in an infraction. I apologize. In the final analysis; my dog barked... but it didn't bite. He's still a loyal friend.

Amnesty is a principle that we hold dearly... and I believe Ubuntu (and the Linux community in general) endorses the concept. The notion of permanent records - public or private – disturbs us. In fact, the threat of their existence makes us reticent.

I see that the infraction is expired. But it appears that it will always be there to great me. There is an email address (mine) in a database that has an infraction notice associated with it... apparently forever in an electronic fossil record. I ask that this infraction be (like a speeding ticket) expunged. If this cannot be done I would like every trace of my personally identifiable information removed from your database... particularly email addresses associated with my account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I clean the slate

This warning is less than a year old.

It's served it's purpose.

But we'll not be removing it at this time.

Whether we look at keeping old warnings or infractions in the future is a completely different matter, but if we did, and I emphasis did, then a warning from that short a time ago would not be included.

for the admins - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12621566

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My feeling is that if this thread hadn't been started, the only person that would have known about the infraction is you, we the moderation staff don't have the time to review every users profile, unless something brings them to our attention. I agree with Elfy, the record should not be removed.

Beans

OK,

Elfy, I appreciate your response to this request. To be fair, you are the administrator who judged and initiated the infraction. You have power and with it you have an option to reconsider. I don't mean to badger you here, but what is my next step? Do you believe I have no recourse?

Can every trace of my personally identifiable information be removed from your database... particularly email addresses associated with my account?