Thread: Display problems with Unity in Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Display problems with Unity in Ubuntu 13.04

I'm having some odd display problems. My screen is covered in purple patches. The attached screenshot shows what I mean.

I can work around the problem by installing the gnome-session-fallback and then logging into Gnome fallback with no effects. If I log into standard Gnome, I get the same problem as in Unity (although possibly not quite as bad).

However, this is not a great workaround, as I like Unity, and don't really want to give it up.

I'm using an Nvidia graphics card, with the default non-proprietary drivers (X.Org X server). I did try to fix this problem by using the proprietary Nvidia drivers (nvidia-310). This did get rid of the purple patches, but it also completely rogered my Unity interface. All my launcher buttons and everything else was gone: I just had a blank screen with my background picture. I could call up a terminal with ctrl-alt-T, and launch programs from the terminal, but that was it.

Any ideas what I could try to get Unity working again?

Thanks
    NM
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Display problems with Unity in Ubuntu 13.04

do you get that issue with "nouveau" also ?
    maybe its related to some compiz option(s)
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/h...2-10-and-13-04

compiz --replace ccp &
    setsid unity

Beans

Thanks, but the post you link to talks about reverting to default settings. I don't think that can be the problem here, as I'm having these problems with a fresh install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Could be that compiz (or the unity plugin) is crashing when you use the proprietary driver. Try to run compiz --replace from the terminal, this may give you some error messages.

Beans

Oh, thanks for that suggestion. Should I try that while using the proprietary driver or the default?