Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Legacy Drivers in Ubuntu 13.04?

Beans

AMD Legacy Drivers in Ubuntu 13.04?

Are the Legacy drivers from AMD going to be able to be installed in the new 13.04 version of Ubuntu? I searched but was unable to find an answer. I currently have 12.1 and while the open source driver works OK I would like to resolve the sleep/boot issue and maybe get my fps up to a reasonable level on the only game I play on my laptop, World of Tanks. If not, I guess I should look into downgrading to 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: AMD Legacy Drivers in Ubuntu 13.04?

No, you can't use old graphics drivers on a new version of X. ATI's legacy drivers will never work with anything newer than 12.04. Sorry.

Beans

OK. I was hoping that something had been worked out for 13.04. Guess I'll do a clean install of 12.04 so I can use AMDs driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

install liquorix kernel
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm in the same boat. Does this liquorix kernel get legacy ATI cards to work with 13.04?

Beans

NEVER say NEVER. I love Linux, as we have heard we are not able to install AMD's legacy drivers past 12.04, I've found that this is not true, xserver needs to be downgraded to 1.12 before you are able to install the legacy drivers, I found directions on dotTech, I had some issues with the directions but I think that has to do with me. Also you may want to look into liquorix kernel like previously mentioned.I hope this helps some one.

I have a HP Pavilion DV7-1245DX which comes with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200.

Beans

I join others who advise AGAINST doing this sort of X-server downgrade just to restricted drivers installed.

You are asking for problems down the road if you do this.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ephryn View Post
    NEVER say NEVER. I love Linux, as we have heard we are not able to install AMD's legacy drivers past 12.04, I've found that this is not true, xserver needs to be downgraded to 1.12 before you are able to install the legacy drivers, I found directions on dotTech, I had some issues with the directions but I think that has to do with me. Also you may want to look into liquorix kernel like previously mentioned.I hope this helps some one.

I have a HP Pavilion DV7-1245DX which comes with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200.
    I used this method with my HP Compaq 8510p (Mobility HD 2600), and it worked quite nicely until the Legacy x-server PPA was updated and then it rendered Unity useless (I could login but Unity couldn't load). This meant doing a fresh reinstall of 12.04 LTS. I couldn't even use 12.04.2 because it used the 3.5 kernel. And I had to create a new user because the upgrade had modified my /home settings meaning a broken system if used with 12.04 install.

So personally I think a PPA is the wrong way to go about it. An update which I was hoping would fix the loud fan issue was actually the thing that broke it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobin View Post
    I used this method with my HP Compaq 8510p (Mobility HD 2600), and it worked quite nicely until the Legacy x-server PPA was updated and then it rendered Unity useless (I could login but Unity couldn't load). This meant doing a fresh reinstall of 12.04 LTS. I couldn't even use 12.04.2 because it used the 3.5 kernel. And I had to create a new user because the upgrade had modified my /home settings meaning a broken system if used with 12.04 install.

So personally I think a PPA is the wrong way to go about it. An update which I was hoping would fix the loud fan issue was actually the thing that broke it.
    Thank you for posting your experience with this.

This is a good example of my warning about
    ... problems down the road if you do this.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast