Thread: I can't get Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04 to boot on Macbook Pro 9,2

Beans

I can't get Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04 to boot on Macbook Pro 9,2

Hello everyone,

I have been trying for the last 3 days to get ubuntu to work on my notebook, a macbook pro 9,2 (with ssd if that makes any difference). I have no problem with the installation as I made it install from USB stick or directly from the Live CD, both 12.04 and 13.04. The problem is, that after the install, when I try to boot into ubuntu using the refit menu, after i select the Linux partition to boot from, I only get the penguin logo and after that just a black screen (sometimes with a blinking cursor, sometimes not). I have followed several threads on this blinking cursor problem and they all imply some fixes in the grub menu, but i do not see any menu, just the black screen immediately after the logo.

For installing i have used this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation
    Of course i have also followed different installation methods found on other sites, but i always got the same result.

If there is already a fix for that, please point me in the right direction and i apologize for opening new thread. If not, maybe someone can help.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: I can't get Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04 to boot on Macbook Pro 9,2

In the first second of the GRUB boot, can you press F6 (does a Mac have Function keys?)?

If so: remove the boot options "splash quiet", press Enter, and see what happens.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    In the first second of the GRUB boot, can you press F6 (does a Mac have Function keys?)?

If so: remove the boot options "splash quiet", press Enter, and see what happens.
    Yes it has functional keys, but i do not get the GRUB boot. That is the problem...

Beans

start pressing F6 ...

Beans

It doesn't work. I get the same result. I guess the problem is GRUB does not install