Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HD-PVR still flaky

Beans

Re: HD-PVR still flaky

I went to .26 today and thought I had this licked bit it came back. The set top box is a Pace HD. I am using Analog sound and after first going to .26 I did not have any issues and was for the first time able to record several hours of shows without an issue. Then out of nowhere the frontend hung and would not start nor would the mythtv-setup although I had it working for several hours. They were both getting messages like:

Jun 5 21:44:20 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythtv-setup[3299]: I CoreContext mythmainwindow.cpp:1058 (Init) Using the Qt painter
    Jun 5 21:44:21 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythtv-setup[3299]: I CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:463 (UpgradeTVDatabaseSchema) Waiting for database schema upgrade lock
    Jun 5 21:45:22 mythlogserver: last message repeated 61 times
    Jun 5 21:46:21 mythlogserver: last message repeated 58 times
    Jun 5 21:46:21 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythtv-setup[3299]: I CoreContext dbcheck.cpp:470 (UpgradeTVDatabaseSchema) Failed to get schema upgrade lock
    It took me a while to sort this out and still do not know what was causing it but after rebooting several times and finally killing mysql and kicking off mythtv-setup it went through upgrading some schema objects again. When I got into mythtv-setup my capture cards were gone so I added them back and the inputs and was able to get my other front ends running again. Anyway, this has nothing to do with the problem.

So it is running again now with both of my remote FEs running. I did not test without the PVR-350 but would be willing to try that. I just tried to record a show again got the dreaded:

Jun 5 23:54:57 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythbackend[2825]: W RecThread mpegrecorder.cpp:818 (SetV4L2DeviceOptions) MPEGRec(/dev/video0): Unable to set audio input.
    Jun 5 23:54:59 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythbackend[2825]: W RecThread mpegrecorder.cpp:1308 (StartEncoding) MPEGRec(/dev/video0): StartEncoding failed#012#011#011#011eno: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
    Jun 5 23:55:03 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythbackend[2825]: E DeviceReadBuffer DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:518 (Poll) DevRdB(/dev/video0): Poll giving up 2
    Jun 5 23:55:03 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythbackend[2825]: E RecThread mpegrecorder.cpp:1009 (run) MPEGRec(/dev/video0): Device error detected
    Jun 5 23:55:06 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythbackend[2825]: W RecThread mpegrecorder.cpp:818 (SetV4L2DeviceOptions) MPEGRec(/dev/video0): Unable to set audio input.
    Jun 5 23:55:08 mythtv01 mythlogserver: mythbackend[2825]: W RecThread mpegrecorder.cpp:1308 (StartEncoding) MPEGRec(/dev/video0): StartEncoding failed#012#011#011#011eno: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
    Did you just go to .26 and are still on 12.0.4 or did you go to 12.10? It is getting late here, so I will test tomorrow without the PVR-350, but not sure how that would be causing an issue. The one big difference I see between .25 and .26 is when I do get into this issue, if I reboot the backend it frees up the HDPVR where as before I had to bounce both.

Beans

I used a fresh install of Mythbuntu 12.04 which came with Mythtv 0.25, then I selected 0.26 from the Mythbuntu Control Centre.

My $0.02:

I'd caveman, troubleshoot by eliminating any potential conflicting devices, such as your PVR-350.

Things to consider:

- Re-check that you updated your HD-PVR firmware from a windows box with the latest.
    - Make sure your Dell has the newest BIOS to rule out USB port issues.
    - If you're using an IR Blaster, 1.) Ensure you have at 12,000 ms tuner timeout delay to allow channel lock, 2.) Ensure you've disabled the HD-PVR port if you aren't using it (unload module).
    - Upgrades from earlier versions of Mythbuntu to newer ones sometimes breaks Linux stuff. In other words, rule this out by starting with the 12.04 LTS.

For reference, my hardware:

DCT-6200 set top box (component video and audio out; channel changing by firewire)
    PVR-500 using /dev/video0 and /dev/video1
    HD-PVR using /dev/video2

Beans

Thanks, this is good advice. I did a fresh install of the 32bit release on another box and had the same exact issues before trying on this Dell. I did test with the PVR-350 card out today and saw the same behavior just now. I am getting the signal lock as I always get at least 15 minutes of recordings before it goes to lunch. I also upgraded to .26 release the same way last night.

I just increased the ring buffer in mythtv-setup, lets see if that makes a difference. I bumped it to 25mb.

Good info and and thanks for the reference hardware. I will see if there is a newer bios as well as I do see where that could be an issue. Still another possibility is the wall wort supplying the 5 volts DC to the HDPVR.

I will verify the the firmware as well when I can get my wife's laptop over to the system again and run the verification utility.

Beans

Just hit it again with the ring buffer increased.

Beans

Upgraded the BIOS on the Dell BE and nothing worked so got frustrated and did a full reinstall. Just now get the IR blaster working and added both cards in. Will do more testing tomorrow.

Beans

Now on to plan "D". After a reinstall and upgrading back to .26 it still reproduced, so I took a STB which is another another vendor from downstairs and brought it upstairs. Now doing recordings to it. Next step after that, if that does not correct it is going to be to purchase another HDPVR (plan "E") and if that fixes it, will return the one I have. If that does not fix it, I am out of ideas. I have changed just about everything out at this point other than the composite cables. Which maybe be plan "F", but I do not have high expectations that will resolve anything.

Beans

I forgot about plan "D.2" which was to look at the console when the problem happens. I went to a virtual terminal by hitting ctrl-alt-F1 and saw messages streaming complaining about lirc_zilog. I commented out the module from the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf and rebooted. I am now on my second recording without issue. I will keep testing. If this proves to be the issue, I will be off to get a firewire card and IR transmitter.

Beans

Yep, my sense is that it's been your IR-Blaster setup all along.

From the wiki:

Note: As of April 2011, numbers of users have reported instability if the HD-PVR is configured as an IR receiver. To workaround this, make sure that "options lirc_zilog tx_only=1" is set in the modprobe.conf or /etc/modprobe.d/hdpvr.conf depending on the distribution.

There are more tweaks on the wiki for lirc if you still want to go down that path. Firewire is so much easier, though. However, some STBs don't have that port.

Beans

Yeah, the one I brought upstairs from downstairs does, but the one that was upstairs does not. I am going to swing by my cable providers office and swap out boxes, as I can't bring the one from upstairs downstairs as I don't have component setup downstairs and the older Pace STB does not support HDMI or firewire. I am grinning ear to ear right now. I am going to keep testing and will stop by Best Buy or Tiger Direct this weekend and get a firewire card and cable. I will also test with lirc_zilog setting as well to see if that is stable, but sounds like firewire is the most stable for channel changing.

Beans

After setting "options lirc_zilog tx_only=1" the system is now stable. For those that suggested to not use the IR blaster built into the HDPVR your were dead on. one30nav and others had mentioned that the this may be an issue. Setting this to resolved, and hopefully others can benefit from the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast