Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HD-PVR still flaky

Beans

HD-PVR still flaky

Well, I have most things working but now have seen what is a show stopper for me. When recording a show or watching live TV it will stop recording with messages like the following every few seconds:

May 25 20:09:01 mythtv01 mythbackend[1571]: E DeviceReadBuffer DeviceReadBuffer.cpp:513 (Poll) DevRdB(/dev/video0): Poll giving up 2
    May 25 20:09:01 mythtv01 mythbackend[1571]: E RecThread mpegrecorder.cpp:1010 (run) MPEGRec(/dev/video0): Device error detected
    May 25 20:09:04 mythtv01 mythbackend[1571]: W RecThread mpegrecorder.cpp:818 (SetV4L2DeviceOptions) MPEGRec(/dev/video0): Unable to set audio input.
    May 25 20:09:06 mythtv01 mythbackend[1571]: W RecThread mpegrecorder.cpp:1315 (StartEncoding) MPEGRec(/dev/video0): StartEncoding failed#012#011#011#011eno: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
    I have yet to get a full program recorded as it usually gets into this state after 5 to 10 minutes. After you see these messages start the BE shows that the program is still being recorded but the recording stops growing. Any ideas? I am on the latest HD-PVR firmware.

Thanks
    Last edited by bleve; June 8th, 2013 at 07:51 AM.

Beans

Re: HD-PVR still flaky

It just happened again, and I noticed that the HD-PVR has a red light on. If I power down the HD-PVR and back on and reboot the BE I can record again. Does not seem very stable.

Beans

Do you have USB 2.0? Quick search of the forum shows similar errors and behavior when you try HD-PVR with USB 1.0.

Beans

It might be your HD-PVR's power supply.

My HD-PVR was getting less and less reliable with time until finally it wouldn't work at all. What happened was the 5V supply was failing. If you measured the 5V at the output of the wall wart (power adapter), it looked fine (5.2V). But when I plugged it into my HD-PVR and measured the 5V supply rail inside the HD-PVR, it was around 3V.

I hooked up a 5V 2A USB adapter and it's been working fine ever since.

Found out about it here:
    http://valkyriemt.wordpress.com/2011...-fail-for-all/

-Fred

Beans

Have not checked power but it is USB 2.0:

11: USB 00.0: 0000 Unclassified device
    [Created at usb.122]
    Unique ID: cLrx.+fHLkLLMGCD
    Parent ID: k4bc.9T1GDCLyFd9
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.0
    SysFS BusID: 1-2:1.0
    Hardware Class: unknown
    Model: "Hauppauge HD PVR"
    Hotplug: USB
    Vendor: usb 0x2040 "Hauppauge"
    Device: usb 0x4903 "Hauppauge HD PVR"
    Serial ID: "00A68446"
    Driver: "hdpvr"
    Driver Modules: "hdpvr"
    Speed: 480 Mbps
    Module Alias: "usb:v2040p4903d0000dc00dsc00dp00icFFisc02ip00 "
    Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: hdpvr is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe hdpvr"
    Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    Attached to: #10 (Hub)
    Will try another power source if an apt-get upgrade does not sort it.

Beans

I am still fighting this one. I have tried another 5v power source. Moved the HDPVR away from the set top box and turned it on its side. But still only get anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes of recordings usually before I get the messages above. The only way to get it out of this state is to bounce the HDPVR and the myth BE. When it gets into this state the red recording light on the front of the HDPVR stays lit even after myth shows the recording as ended.

Any other ideas?

Beans

I have an email exchange going back and forth with Jerry at Hauppauge on this. He thinks it may be the driver (not sure if that is internal or external to the HDPVR). He told me that he wants me tor reproduce on Windows so I guess I will need to move my wife's windows machine over to where the STB is and try and reproduce. This is beyond frustrating to say the least as hundreds if not thousands seem to have this working without issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It is possible that people could give you better help if you provided a complete description of your system: CPU, memory, video adapter, hard drive, what operating system you are using, brand and model of your TV device. Running backend and frontend on the same computer?

Beans

Hi Gordon,

I have reproduced this two different backends with two different Video cards. The current machine is a Dell OptiPlex 745 with 8gb of RAM. The video card is PCIe X16 Nvideo 8400 gs based card with 512mb of RAM. Operating system is Mythbuntu 12.04 with .25 of Mythtv. My backend is running a frontend as well and I have two other frontends in my house that are not running as backends. I have the latest from the mythbuntu repos installed.

What I am seeing does not seem like it is related to the hardware so much outside of the HDPVR. I did do as Jerry from Hauppauge asked me to do last night and hooked the HDPVR to a windows machine hooked up to the same cable box and was able to record onto the Windows machine without errors. I am not at home now to see which kernel I am currently on, but this reproduced with the base 12.04 Mythbuntu kernel as well as the one picked up from the repos as configured from the Mythbuntu Control Center. I am a bit concerned that others are reporting the same issue, as I can reproduce this reliably in either one of the machines I am using as the backend. The other one I tried is an older Intel based homemade machine with a 32bit processor so I used the 32bit release of Mythbuntu but the current backend has the 64bit installed. The 32bit system also had a different Nvidia card in it as it was 6200 based and AGP not PCIe and had a lot less RAM.

The only other thing that may be different than others is this backend does have a Hauppauge PVR-350 in it as well capturing basic cable which continues to work flawlessly.

Beans

What kind of set top box do you have? Are you using analog audio or SPDIF? Have you tried without the PVR-350? How about perhaps trying Mythtv 0.26 (which is running stable for me).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast