Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: considering upgrading from 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS

Beans

considering upgrading from 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS

I have using 10.04 for some time and absolutely love my system. It was recently suggested to me that I consider upgrading. My issue with that is I really like the layout of 10.04 and what I mean is I like where to find things like having the three locations(Applications, Places and System) at the top with the drop down menus. To me everything is easily accessible from here. Would it be possible to recreate this in 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: considering upgrading from 10.04LTS to 12.04LTS

Gnome-fallback in 12.04 gets close to it, though it doesn't have the third menu of System. The system options are at the bottom of the Applications menu.

I believe that Xubuntu can be configured to be very similar also, though I've not used Xubuntu in 12.04. (Currently running Xubuntu in 13.10)

Then there's MATE desktop. I'll leave others to elaborate on that, as I've not used it at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

I was also very dismayed at the loss of support for gnome 10.04 recently, but I made the jump a few weeks back when I bought a new desktop machine and moved from 32 to 64 bit OS.

I have not managed to get used to, nor like unity, which simply is not right for my way of working on a computer, so I installed Xubuntu 12.04.2, added the packages that I have to have such as Libreoffice, VLC, and others I can't think of at the moment, and very quickly fell in love with it.

I have moved to XFCE 4.10 using the ppa available for precise, which seems to work brilliantly. If I have any problems they are very small, eg parole, the movie-player, which refuses to play any DVDs that I try it with, even though I have all the gstreamer codecs, the w64codecs, libdvdcss2, and just about everything else I can think of installed. However that is of little consequence to me as I have VLC as my main media player, and have now removed parole as it seems quite useless.

Xubuntu is now so much more configurable than it used to be, as far as I can remember, and you can indeed make it look just like gnome 2 if you want; a quick search of www.googlubuntu.com will find several suggestions, so here you go.
    http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...Search&lang=en
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Yep, gnome classic (fallback) is a pretty good knock-off of the old desktop. If you want to give it a spin ..
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Here's some tips

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

If you ever used a mac computer, then you might like unity desktop because it is very mac like with it's dock (although on the left instead of the bottom) which can autohide of course, global menu and search that is like what the mac has also) if you don't like docks then one of the other suggestions might meet your needs...

I will say that many who initially either hated or wasn't thrilled with unity (including myself) came around after spending a few weeks with it...i was lukewarm at first and now absolutely love it!
    They key is to put your favorites and most used apps on the dock for quick easy access and just use the search for less frequent apps...

Unity is not highly configurable but you can shrink the size of the icons (i do...to around 38 pixels) autohide it, control the "sensitivity" and add the workspaces into it (all from the appearance section of the system settings)...
    Last edited by craig10x; May 25th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS one year ago and I've really tried Unity, but I keep finding it extremely annoying. I also tried the classic look and tweaked the heck out of it, but I keep running into bugs, missing menu items, failures, etc. etc. etc.

I like Ubuntu a lot, but because of my great annoyance with Unity, I'm contemplating the Mint distro or Xubuntu in order to get a likeable desktop environment again.

Ubuntu 10.04 was great and I would have hapily continued using it, but it has run out of support now.
    Last edited by martinr; May 25th, 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: subtle change in wording in order not to offend anybody
    To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by martinr View Post
    I also tried the classic look and tweaked the heck out of it, but I keep running into bugs, missing menu items, failures, etc. etc. etc.
    Of course mileage will vary, but I find Classic 12o4 (with meticily window manager) to be quite solid.

Beans

Thanks for all the advice here. I'll start reading

Beans

i just install the Mate desk top and get all i want. there were 3 aplets for the panel that i have come to want and they are available in mate.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

I say try unity and if its not for you just install xubuntu.
    XFCE is very much like gnome2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast