Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GParted-Partition Question--Want to merge partitions to increase space

Beans

Re: GParted-Partition Question--Want to merge partitions to increase space

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    You are not talking about simply backing up a few data files, you are talking about backing up a working operating system and then restoring it to a working state. That could be a whole different level of complexity. Is this what you want to do?
    Sorry for any confusion. What I want to do is create more space for files in my Ubuntu partition, using the partition that is empty. It looks like I misunderstood the other day and what I will be backing up with be ALL files including operating systems files in the partition containing Ubuntu--which will take some time. Do have that right?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darekch View Post
    Yes. If you're sure about your backup, meaning you are sure that it will contain all data that you want, then deleting all files and reformating partitions before merging/resizing will let you do that process in about 5-10 minutes. Beside backup is rather 'must' if you want to resize partition.

Hmm... looking at your gparted's image I think that in your case resizing partiton without deleting files should also be fast (about 10 minutes), as you will expand one partion with empty space so no data should be moved. However I can't guarantee that.

And one word more about backup... remember to check if your backup contain hidden files/directories from you $HOME. If you use thunderbird then remember to backup ~/.thunderbird. Firefox usually keep you profile in ~/.mozilla.
    Thank you for your advice. From Coffeecat's response it looks like I might be confused about what I will be backing up? In any case, what I want to do is increase the amount of space I have for saving files in my Ubuntu operation, using the partitition that doesn't contain anything. I think I am still a bit confused about how this operation is going to work!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Qualtrough View Post
    Sorry for any confusion. What I want to do is create more space for files in my Ubuntu partition, using the partition that is empty. It looks like I misunderstood the other day and what I will be backing up with be ALL files including operating systems files in the partition containing Ubuntu--which will take some time. Do have that right?
    To try to clarify. When I advised to backup, I really meant only your personal files. Ideally, it would be advisable to backup your whole operating system, but this is a more complex operation than simply copying all the constituent files. In fact you can use the terminal command cp to backup and restore a working operating system - I have done so on many occasions - but you need to know what you are doing; there are a number of factors to take into account, and it is a more complex operation than just copying the files and then copying them back again.

What is it you are trying to achieve? Do you wish to save time when resizing the partition, or to have a backup of your whole operating system? My advice - forget the time saving. If you are in a hurry when wanting to resize a partition, then don't even attempt to do it.

From Coffeecat's response it looks like I might be confused about what I will be backing up? In any case, what I want to do is increase the amount of space I have for saving files in my Ubuntu operation, using the partitition that doesn't contain anything. I think I am still a bit confused about how this operation is going to work!
    How it's going to work? You will end up with a larger partition that will work just like your current sda5, but it will be bigger.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    To try to clarify. When I advised to backup, I really meant only your personal files. Ideally, it would be advisable to backup your whole operating system, but this is a more complex operation than simply copying all the constituent files. In fact you can use the terminal command cp to backup and restore a working operating system - I have done so on many occasions - but you need to know what you are doing; there are a number of factors to take into account, and it is a more complex operation than just copying the files and then copying them back again.

What is it you are trying to achieve? Do you wish to save time when resizing the partition, or to have a backup of your whole operating system? My advice - forget the time saving. If you are in a hurry when wanting to resize a partition, then don't even attempt to do it.

How it's going to work? You will end up with a larger partition that will work just like your current sda5, but it will be bigger.
    OK, thanks much for the clarification and advice. I plan to follow your instructions over the weekend when I can devote the time needed! I will report back, hopefully with good results!

Beans

Tonight I thought I burned a Live CD and it appeared to be successful. The file name is ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop.i386.iso and the file size is 727.0 MB and it says it is a raw CD image. However, even though I set my computer to boot from the CD, all it does is light up the CD drive a bit before shifting over to my regular hard drive boot up. The disk is a DVDR, so is that the problem? I dug up an old CD R disk I have here but it is only 700 MB, so I don't see how that can work. Probably a dumb question or two there, but....

OK, did some more research and it looks like I burned it as data rather than an image. I will redo and see if that works!
    Last edited by Qualtrough; June 1st, 2013 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

The download is 693MB. Something is not right with your download if its 727MB.

download.png

Beans

Recent versions of Ubuntu are too large to fit on CDs anymore; instead, you have to "burn" the ISOs to DVDs.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Success! The problem I experienced was indeed because I burned the CD as a data file, not an image file. I made a new one and selected burn image, and that one booted up fine. I then followed coffeecat's very clear instructions on page 1 of this thread to the letter and bingo, it seems to have worked. I was able to boot up again without issue, and I now have an additional 100 + GB of disk space. Thank you everyone who offered help here!

One follow-up question if I may--related to this issue. I have another partition that contains Windows and some files. I do not use Windows anymore and I don't even think it will boot up correctly. Can I follow the same instructions from coffeecat some day to delete that partition and use that space for Linux? After removing or moving any files of course.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One follow-up question if I may--related to this issue. I have another partition that contains Windows and some files. I do not use Windows anymore and I don't even think it will boot up correctly. Can I follow the same instructions from coffeecat some day to delete that partition and use that space for Linux? After removing or moving any files of course.
    Sort of, but there's a complication. If you are referring to /dev/sda1, then that is a primary partition. If you delete that and want to use the space by enlarging what is probably now your sda5 partition, you would need to enlarge the extended partition first. Your sda5 is a logical partition and the extended partition is used as a container for logical partitions. You would end up with something a bit odd - a hard drive with no primary partitions, just one extended partition containing logicals. Although odd, it would work.

An alternative option would simply be to reformat sda1 with the ext4 fileysystem and use it as a data partition. There would be some permissions issues to consider, but they are easily dealt with and there are plenty of people who could help you with that, if you need it.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12