Thread: Unity panel search bar opens mutiple browser tabs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Exclamation Unity panel search bar opens mutiple browser tabs.

I am a long-time Ubuntu user, and I have come across a bizarre bug that I cannot understand. I am not even precisely sure where to begin with troubleshooting, so anything is likely to help.

When I click on the little swirly Ubuntu icon at the top of the Unity panel, as soon as I begin typing in the search bar my default browser opens a new tab. As I type, additional tabs are opened continually. It seems that the search action is somehow being tied to my browser (in this case, I have been using Chrome for awhile). It's not terribly problematic, but it is silly and I would like to stop it from happening.

I have also tried searching for similar issues, but it seems that my searching keywords are either not effective at finding similar issues, OR I am the only one with this issue.

I will endeavor to post here if/when I have a solution. But as I said, any input is welcome.

Thanks!!

Update: Thanks to the clues I was given below, I have come a step or two closer to finding the solution. This has irritated me for quite some time, so I ended up coming back here to see if anyone had offered any solutions. I opened my Passwords and Keys application and just deleted them all. I had many multiple entries for several of the various online accounds that I have, so it appears that something was broken with my keys. On the down-side, I did not determine which one was the actual culprit, but I'm okay with that. If I end up with any further information, I will come back here to update it.
    Last edited by em3raldxiii; September 14th, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
    • Note To Self:gksudo is safer than sudo for graphical apps!

Beans

Re: Unity panel search bar opens mutiple browser tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by em3raldxiii View Post
    I am a long-time Ubuntu user, and I have come across a bizarre bug that I cannot understand. I am not even precisely sure where to begin with troubleshooting, so anything is likely to help.

When I click on the little swirly Ubuntu icon at the top of the Unity panel, as soon as I begin typing in the search bar my default browser opens a new tab. As I type, additional tabs are opened continually. It seems that the search action is somehow being tied to my browser (in this case, I have been using Chrome for awhile). It's not terribly problematic, but it is silly and I would like to stop it from happening.

I have also tried searching for similar issues, but it seems that my searching keywords are either not effective at finding similar issues, OR I am the only one with this issue.

I will endeavor to post here if/when I have a solution. But as I said, any input is welcome.

Thanks!
    You're not the only one with the problem. I'm having the same issue myself.
    Have absolutely no idea where to begin searching though..

Beans

I'm in the same boat too, any updates would be very much appreciated.

Beans

Similar issue.
    I get the same when I open unity via the sidebar and begin typing.
    The issue that is annoying me is that my <SUPER> key opens unity and enters the search bar, which causes the same effect.

Chrome opens "about:blank", ~70% of the time, whenever I press <SUPER> to open Unity.
    I've tried looking at my chrome settings to no avail. I cannot find where the shortcut is set.

It seemed to happen after I temporarily disabled my <ALT> key, to do some work with GIMP, by installing the Compiz config settings manager.
    None of the settings in there seem to affect my situation though.

=/

I can work with it, but it's highly annoying.

Does anyone have any tips for searching which key presses are getting routed to which section of the OS?

Beans

Interesting.

I just removed Gwibber, which seems to have fixed my problem. My thinking is that there's something broken with it- causing it to open new tabs when it tries to search FB/G+ for content.

I don't know why. It just seems to have stopped.

Maybe it'll work for you too.

Beans

I was too having the same problem. It was some problem with online accounts.
    Removed all my online accounts i had added(as i was not using them anyways) and it solved my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Just a heads up to everyone: I have updated my original post. Deleting all of the keys in my Passwords and Keys app was effective at stopping the problem. Now to see if I can safely re-add a few!
    • Note To Self:gksudo is safer than sudo for graphical apps!