Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 12.04 on (old) Android Phone

Beans

Installing Ubuntu 12.04 on (old) Android Phone

I have and HTC Desire phone running the firmware version of android. It makes very poor use of the 16 GB SD card I have so I want to try running Ubuntu on it instead. How do I go about installing this OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing Ubuntu 12.04 on (old) Android Phone

Ubuntu 12.04 isn't available but there is a port of Ubuntu Touch based on 12.10 that you can use with the Desire...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2165711

Be aware that Ubuntu Touch is still in development, so expect frequent breakage.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Thanks, at the moment I can't even keep the android apps updated due to the phone refusing to install anything to the SD card. It can make phone calls and text ok it can take pictures but that's about it. I'll give those instructions a try once I find my micro SD to SD adapter.

Beans

Ok, so I tried to follow the instructions but I can't find the Ubuntu FS file that the instructions mentioned. Where can I download this?

ED. Got it!
    Last edited by Frimbleglim; May 24th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frimbleglim View Post
    Thanks, at the moment I can't even keep the android apps updated due to the phone refusing to install anything to the SD card.
    NOT being able to install or move apps to an external SD card has been prevented in Android ever since ICS came out. So, if your phone is running ICS or JB, it's an Android OS limitation.

As to your question about where to get the FS ... You DID see the comments that this is only for Advanced Users, right? The link to the ZIP file containing what you need is clearly display on the screen. IF you aren't advanced enough to understand that and extract compressed files in Linux, you should NOT be doing this -- as you will most likely BRICK your phone!
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; May 24th, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I copied the files accross at step 8 but there were several errors of the form chown "/FILELOCATION/" failed: Opperation not Permitted is it safe to continue?

@ Mark Phelps, Yes I realise that and that is why I want to try ubuntu touch. I'm currently running an altered version of 2.3 (Gingerbread)
    Last edited by Frimbleglim; May 24th, 2013 at 06:19 PM.

Beans

OK well I can't delete the android OS from the phone however hard I try so I think I'll have to leave it there. I managed to follow the rest of the instructions.

Beans

I have finally managed to route my phone and have followed the instructions up to number 13. The phone is now running Evervolv. How do I perform step 14 to make it run ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you could make a rootstock script ?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RootfsFromScratch
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans

I'm not sure I understand what is going on here. Is the idea to run ubuntu in an emulator on the phone or to actually load ubuntu native using evervolv as a very elaborate bootloader?

@josephmills I can't really understand that link can you explain what these scripts would do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast