Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 -> 13.04 Networking Issue: Workgroup Password Unknown/Connection Timeout

Beans

12.04 -> 13.04 Networking Issue: Workgroup Password Unknown/Connection Timeout

Hello all!

I am very new to ubuntu OS, so please bear with me here. I have just installed 12.04.2 alongside Windows on my system, with most resources devoted to the ubuntu side. I am attempting to share folders with another computer on our home network that is running 13.04 w/out any Windows. As far as I can tell, we've both got samba properly installed to start.

More specifically, on my machine (the 12.04) I can see the shared folder from 13.04, but when I try to open it I am prompted for a password that, to my knowledge, was never set up. There are username, domain, and password sections to be filled in, with defaults in username and domain (my username and WORKGROUP, respectively). The password field is empty. So what is this password? The one for my computer? the other computer? a workgroup I never set up? other?

Problem 2: On the 13.04 machine, I can see the shared folder on this computer, but instead of asking for a password the connection keeps timing out.

Sorry to ask two separate questions about two different systems. I hope that I provided enough detail, as this is my first time here.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 12.04 -> 13.04 Networking Issue: Workgroup Password Unknown/Connection Timeout

He's attempting to share files/folders not remote access or desktop sharing

I'm having similar trouble for some reason
    It actually is a simple process by default ubuntu has sharing capability

Simply browse the network typically you can access the shared folders easiliy as long as:
    1. you have a shared file/folder on your machine
    2. you have a shared file/folder on the machine your trying to connect to.

It's pretty straight forward normally but for some reason I'm having trouble too.
    It was working perfectly then this morning I decided to get rid of my old SME server box running dhcp and and gateway.

Figured I would simply share files on a folder on ubuntu box since I'm no longer using my SME box for a webserver and webmail etc.

Wanted to dumb things down a bit and it appears it became more complicated and none functional

I have a simply setup with a few computers connected directly to the router with default router setup.

Most of the computer are ubuntu computers which is usually the simplest thing to do by default just share a folder and BOOM your on the network sharing files.
    As I said simply browse the network and they are there.

Wonder what happened ?

Beans
    Distro

Re: 12.04 -> 13.04 Networking Issue: Workgroup Password Unknown/Connection Timeout

Also for some reason I'm seeing the old workgroup name and/or domain name for the old server and it's not even connected anymore

Where the heck is the network browser getting this info from when there is no computer or domain by that name any more. ??

Beans
    Distro

But even WORSE

Forget the other computers on the network, I can't even access my own computer from the network browser this is a major problem

Typically even if you have some trouble with other computers on the network you can ALWAYS access your own computer or shared folder from the network browser. It just times out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by AgentZ86 View Post
    But even WORSE

Forget the other computers on the network, I can't even access my own computer from the network browser this is a major problem

Typically even if you have some trouble with other computers on the network you can ALWAYS access your own computer or shared folder from the network browser. It just times out
    Try and see if you can connect using the IP address and then the share name (i.e. //IP_Address/share). This may just be a name service problem. There have been changes to 13.04 with naming. If you are not using 13.04 then this tread is not for you. Are you using 13.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by gibbs513 View Post
    Hello all!

I am very new to ubuntu OS, so please bear with me here. I have just installed 12.04.2 alongside Windows on my system, with most resources devoted to the ubuntu side. I am attempting to share folders with another computer on our home network that is running 13.04 w/out any Windows. As far as I can tell, we've both got samba properly installed to start.

More specifically, on my machine (the 12.04) I can see the shared folder from 13.04, but when I try to open it I am prompted for a password that, to my knowledge, was never set up. There are username, domain, and password sections to be filled in, with defaults in username and domain (my username and WORKGROUP, respectively). The password field is empty. So what is this password? The one for my computer? the other computer? a workgroup I never set up? other?
    Depending on how Samba is set up you may need to create a user on the server and a Samba user. How were the shares created?

Problem 2: On the 13.04 machine, I can see the shared folder on this computer, but instead of asking for a password the connection keeps timing out.
    Try to connect using the IP address and share name ( i.e. //IP_address/share_name ).

Sorry to ask two separate questions about two different systems. I hope that I provided enough detail, as this is my first time here.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

I'm using 13.04 on 3 computers, 12.04 on another computer and 1 windows 7 computer

Ok forget all those computers for a moment. Lets focus on the one computer with 13.04 which cannot even access itself
    I mean if I setup a share on the same box, and from the same box I browse the network, my own computer does not show up on the network and it should.
    By default ubuntu typically ALWAYS allowed you to share a file and see your own share on the network from the same box your sharing from.

I assume that it's something to do with the router but I reset the router to defaults and that should not be blocking anything

I have not installed samba yet. I didn't see any reason to just yet because the ubuntu computers won't even see itself on the network from itself this is very strange

Beans
    Distro

I mean to say a default install of Ubuntu should be a simple matter of right clicking a folder and sharing it I even setup for people to read/write and guest access. Then from the same box I go to network browse and that box is not even listed there. It says windows shares but that times out with no other boxes listed which is very strange because any ubuntu box with a share should be showing up there outside of the windows network folder they usually just show up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by AgentZ86 View Post
    I'm using 13.04 on 3 computers, 12.04 on another computer and 1 windows 7 computer

Ok forget all those computers for a moment. Lets focus on the one computer with 13.04 which cannot even access itself
    I mean if I setup a share on the same box, and from the same box I browse the network, my own computer does not show up on the network and it should.
    I could but it doesn't have to. If you don't have the naming services configured correctly then you can't browse any network by name. Samba browses by name. If fact it browses by NETBIOS name which it gets by converting the hostname to NETBIOS name -- or it broadcasts for the name.

By default ubuntu typically ALWAYS allowed you to share a file and see your own share on the network from the same box your sharing from.
    It's not by default. The only thing installed by default is the client software. You can see other shares (if its working correctly).

I assume that it's something to do with the router but I reset the router to defaults and that should not be blocking anything

I have not installed samba yet. I didn't see any reason to just yet because the ubuntu computers won't even see itself on the network from itself this is very strange
    If you created a share then Samba Server was installed.
    I mean to say a default install of Ubuntu should be a simple matter of right clicking a folder and sharing it I even setup for people to read/write and guest access. Then from the same box I go to network browse and that box is not even listed there. It says windows shares but that times out with no other boxes listed which is very strange because any ubuntu box with a share should be showing up there outside of the windows network folder they usually just show up.
    Only if you can resolve the hostname to NETBIOS name to IP address.

Try and get your thoughts together in one post. There is no need to spam the OP's thread with a stream of your thoughts. Your problem appears to be name service related and I gave you a test to check that thesis.

Edit: to add to a post use the edit post selection at the bottom of the editor.
    Last edited by redmk2; May 28th, 2013 at 10:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast