Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: store dvds on hard drive and play back

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

store dvds on hard drive and play back

novice at video - i'de lik4 to load all my dvds to disk so i can select and play them without swapping disks anymore. i've heard the term "ripping" but not vsure what to do. i'd like the menus, movie, extras, etc., just like using the disk itself. I've just "downsized" by selling al of my computers. i have found i can do a lot simple things just using my tablet. so today i went to microcenter and bought a little zbox, a hdd and some memory. i have 750gb esata drive i'd like to store and play my movies from - output via hdmi to my hd tv. I'd also like to use it as a small desktop as well.
    also, if i buy a bluetooth adapter (usb) is there someway to use my tabley as a remote controlof sorts?

any simple to follow how-o's, web links, etc., would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by squakie; June 5th, 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Beans

Re: store dvds on hard drive and play back

Best quality comes from simply storing a copy of the DVD on your HDD, takes a lot of space but quality is same as DVD itself. If you like the commandline vobcopy will do this for you (and decrypt at the same time) with:

Code:
    vobcopy -m
    There will be gui methods of doing this as well but I am on uncertain ground there...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll give that a try - as soon as I pick up the USB external DVD/row drive I forgot completely about do you know if xmbc could be of help to me as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

while I'm waiting for portable DVD drive to come from eBay (talk about stupid to forget the that ), is there some sort of software that is kind of "all encompassing" software that loads DVDs to disk, creates a library of them, allows look up in the library and plays what you select?

I looked like in the readme sticky, but I didn't see how you supposed to copy them to disk and then play them. as a sample of my questions about that, do I copy the DVDs as is iso images, and if so, do you have to mount the iso? how do you select and play it?

sorry for the ignorance, but I don't know anything about these things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

storing/playing dvds from hard drive

I have a few questions about loading dvds to my hard disk for later playback in something like xmbc.

do i just create iso images? I've looked at the the wiki for xmbc but it's not real clear about what to do with iso images so they are indexed, etc.

i'm familiar with playback of css disks, but anything beyond that i'm a complete novice withe all things video.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use K9copy for backing up my DVD's to .iso files and Handbrake for compressing them into mp4 files for viewing on the move.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bump.

Beans

Rip to .iso using K9copy; VLC will play .iso files and there are a few VLC remote controls for android.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    I use k3b to rip DVDs to *.iso.
    Do you know if xmbc can index those and do the playback? I don't want to have to do any mount, etc., just " push the button" in xmbc and have it play. So far everything I've read from xmbc doesn't go into the specifics.

Thanks Ann.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast