Thread: Trouble installing 12.04 LTS Server

Beans

Trouble installing 12.04 LTS Server

Hi,

I'm having a few problems trying to install 12.04 LTS Server AMD64 onto a new build.

I initially downloaded the latest ISO (12.04.02) and used Universal USB Installer to create a bootable flash drive. However when booting off this drive, the installer starts up just fine but then fails on the first after selecting a keyboard and states that it can not load the installation components from the CD drive.

I tried recreating the bootable flash drive using a couple of different methods but each time I get the same result.

I then reverted to a 12.04.1 ISO that I had previously downloaded and this seems to get past this point (again creating a bootable USB drive with it). Unfortunately it fails a little further as it can't detect the network adapter.

The build is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H which has an atheros network adapter. Googling for problems with this and linux doesn't turn up a great deal but does throw up a few threads that recommend using a later version of Ubuntu to resolve the problem as the driver is not included in some of the older versions.

I tried also booting off a live CD for 12.04 LTS AMD 64 Desktop version however this just seemed to hang. I do need an LTS version of the server edition in any case....

Anyone have any suggestions about what to try next? I suppose it is possible there's a problem with the motherboard... though I'd like to confirm that before I attempt to RMA it if that is the case... In any case that wouldn't explain the problem with the 12.04.2 server install.

Thanks for your help all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Trouble installing 12.04 LTS Server

Could these problems with 12.04.2 be due to a corrupt download? Did you verify the checksum of the downloaded iso?

Beans

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion, as it happens I had not verified the checksum... so I did it now. Unfortunatley they do match so it would appear to be a good download.

Any other ideas?

Beans

Hmm. Interestingly if I burn the same ISO (12.04.2 server) to disc instead and hook up an optical drive it will boot just fine.

Unfortunately, I then run into the same problem as with 12.04.1 : "No network interfaces detected"

Any suggestions?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

http://demtrex.wordpress.com/2011/04...ubuntu-server/

The post is about 10.04 but it works for 12.04 as well. The only command I added was
    Code:
    mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom
    after
    Code:
    ln -sf /iso/ubuntu-10.04-server-amd64.iso /dev/sr0
    Not sure that was even necessary but it worked anyway.