Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 5732ZG overheating

Beans

Acer Aspire 5732ZG overheating

Hello everyone.

Few days ago I've installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my Acer Aspire 5732ZG.
    Right after I finished installation and booted, my laptop turned off.It was due to high temp(105c)
    I've never had such problems on windows 7, it's normal temp on 7 is 60-70c with firefox and winamp being used.

I've already tried to look for a solution, googled the problem and found out that I'm not the only one with it.
    But there is no specific solution.I've tried to install TLP and configured it to save as much power as I can, but it didn't help.

So, what should I do ?
    I think it's because of the wrong graphichs driver, can that be the problem ? I didn't install/uninstall any driver since I installed ubuntu though.

Thanks in advance,
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Laptop overheating

You can check in Additional Drivers to see if any are being offered, but if they aren't, there aren't any drivers you can install.

Overheating is a common problem in laptops because the recent Linux kernel versions do not provide the idling support that is already there in the MS Windows kernels; thus, the CPU runs faster in general, and gets hotter.

You can try using Jupiter to see if that helps: http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2012/04/fi...roblem-in.html
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

There isn't anything in Additional Drivers.
    Jupiter does not work on Ubuntu 13.04, it's discontinued project afaik, I've tried TLP as I said, but seems like it isn't helping at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you know which hardware component caused the high temperature? If not, lm-sensors might help to find it out:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SensorInstallHowto

Am I right in assuming that you already took the usual measures like checking that nothing blocks the fan, cleaning from dust inside the laptop?

Beans

No, I don't exactly know that.
    This is the output of the 'sensors' command.

nightshadow@nightshadow-Aspire-5732Z:~$ sensors
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +75.0°C (crit = +110.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0: +72.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
    Core 1: +75.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
    The temp is not high atm, as I turned my laptop on 20 mins ago.

Beans
    Distro

From the output it seems as if sensors doesn't detect a sensor on the graphics card or that there is no seperate sensor on the graphics card. Are the fans working? You should be able to hear them if they do work. Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 5732ZG overheating

Yea, they are working I think.
    I didn't clean them, but they are working completely fine with windows 7, so it should work on ubuntu too.
    About BIOS, I've never updated it, I have the one that came with my computer, and I bought it around 3 years ago.
    I've tried to search for newer version yesterday, but couldn't find abythng though.

[EDIT]
    Actually, now when I've reached 92c, I think that fans are not working as they should.They should be a lot more loud than they are atm.
    Last edited by Nightshadow931; May 25th, 2013 at 05:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately, this seems to be famous with quite a lot of Acer models. The problem seems to be that the fans are only properly controlled if Windows is installed. I've found a promising post here on the forum about how the problem might be solved:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2141864
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2010883

Beans

Seems like it's not compatible with my acer 5732zg.
    Yesterday I found new BIOS for my laptop, and flashed it, but it didn't fix my problem at all.

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu with Unity is know to place quite some burden on the graphics card, which may be the reason for the overheating issue. Since the fans are at least working, it might be an option to use a different, more lightweight desktop environment such as those from Xubuntu or Lubuntu. These are, however, quite different from Unity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast