Thread: How do you write an é?

Beans

Thumbs up How do you write an é?

Under windows, one can press AltGr+e and you will get a é, however on my acer aspire 5920 on ubuntu 13.04, I do this and just get e

When one is talking about clichés, one needs to use an é, so how do you get it without going through character map all the time?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How do you write an é?

Compose-e-'

You can set which key is the Compose key in the Keyboard Layout tool.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGeddes View Post
    Under windows, one can press AltGr+e and you will get a é, however on my acer aspire 5920 on ubuntu 13.04, I do this and just get e

When one is talking about clichés, one needs to use an é, so how do you get it without going through character map all the time?
    During the Ubuntu install, you can select what kind of keyboard you want, among which which kind of international characters input method. You can choose AltGr, dead keys, etc. And it works: é € à (I have AltGr)

You can type "Keyboard Layout" in the Unity Dash, and then see what you've selected. And you can change it too.

Beans

you can also use unicode input by holding ctrl+shift and pressing u, then the unicode number. I prefer the compose key (on my caps lock), but for underline, etc, its a handy trick
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_input
    Last edited by HiImTye; May 24th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Like sanderj said, the keyboard layout can be configured to have the AltGr key. Open Keyboard Layout (search for it), click the "+" icon, choose "English (international AltGr dead keys)" then move it to the top by pressing "^" (or just delete "English" altogether). Once done, your right Alt should be AltGr and AltGr + e should equal é.