Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to convert .flv to .mp4

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Trying to convert .flv to .mp4

Hello I'm having a tough time converting my .flv videos to .mp4 on VLC. I done a search in the forums and ended up at UbuntuCompilationGuideLucid, follow each step and still no luck . Reading other threads others pointed out use this or that other player but I easily convert the files on Win7 so I know it can be done on ubuntu. I just want to learn, never, don't know how compile, try last night but no go, so if someone can point me to the right direction I would be grateful. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Trying to convert .flv to .mp4

If I understand your question correctly, you mean that you are able to convert .flv to .mp4 in VLC for Windows, but are unable to do so in Ubuntu?

The menus should be the same on both platforms, so the most likely explanation is that the version you are using on Ubuntu is older than the one you are using on Windows... check this using help --> about, and if I'm right you could enable the backports for Lucid to get the newest version of VLC without the newest Ubuntu.

Failing that, you may not be able to do it because of restricted codecs etc. You can install them all in one go using the Medibuntu repository (there's an installation guide on there).

Please let me know if either of these solves the problem!

Feathers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok i made it to the Get FFmpeg page and lastest release is 1.2.1 Magic. On the page it has a bzip2Tarball, gzipTarball, PgP signatures and changelog. I'm at a lost right now. I hope I gave enough info so far, i'll stop for now til you can tell me more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dre3 View Post
    Ok i made it to the Get FFmpeg page and lastest release is 1.2.1 Magic. On the page it has a bzip2Tarball, gzipTarball, PgP signatures and changelog. I'm at a lost right now. I hope I gave enough info so far, i'll stop for now til you can tell me more.
    Yes so in a way I check out the site but right now I'm stuck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should be able to install both ffmepeg & winff from the repositories. I just checked my 13.04 and have both installed. No need to make your life more complicated than it needs to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    You should be able to install both ffmepeg & winff from the repositories. I just checked my 13.04 and have both installed. No need to make your life more complicated than it needs to be.
    Not sure about ffmpeg but I install winff, open it but at a lost on how to use. Dont see nothing how to make video-h264 and audio-mpeg4 acc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I install Winff and also checking my home folder I have the ffmeg folder also wit the Lame and Yasm too, so I'am asking it i have to move it to a program folder or something, still at a lost but dont want to give up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not sure about ffmpeg but I install winff, open it but at a lost on how to use. Dont see nothing how to make video-h264 and audio-mpeg4 acc.
    Winff is just a GUI for ffmpeg I believe. I'm not at all versed on various audio and video codecs, sorry.

Beans

I always use Winff, in Windows and in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am using Handbrake, or Avidemux, or AVconvert (nautilus-actions-extra). Though on my personal note, why bother covert from flv to mp4?Cheers,Bruno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast