Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Desktop Environment Specifically Designed for Gaming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Desktop Environment Specifically Designed for Gaming

I think there should be a desktop environment that not only aesthetically pleasing for gamers, but is also designed to run more efficiently, without all of the unneeded programs and applications that regular Ubuntu has. Something like Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but more gaming oriented.

What do you think?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Desktop Environment Specifically Designed for Gaming

hmm... do you mean something like this?
    http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate...dition-gamers/
    (i havn't actually tried it, but it comes with lxde and openbox, so should be pretty lightweight)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is one...
    Elementary OS Luna

It's based on Ubuntu, so you get all the good stuff. Minus the Unity and the resource hunger. And all of it wrapped in a nice and minimalist fashion.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Distro

I was actually thinking of something more official and supported by Canonical.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    I was actually thinking of something more official and supported by Canonical.
    Well that's never gonna happen...
    Canonical are pushing Ubuntu, as it is, and one of their strongpoints atm is the Steam support.
    So you'll have to look for other options
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans

Aren't Steam building their own distro? I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading something about it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

People have been saying for years that Linux will run acceptably on low specification machines. That is true but it does not mean that Linux will turn a low specification machine into a high specification games machine. It goes against the laws of the gaming universe.

To have the best gaming experience buy the most powerful hardware that you cannot afford.

People code games as a means of making money. The companies that sell games are not going to reveal their secret code to the developers of Ubuntu. Without information about the code the Ubuntu developers will not be able to make the game run more efficiently.

Let the games developers take the open source Ubuntu code and match it to their game code so that the game runs more efficiently. Ubuntu developers are already assisting the developers of Steam and games to do this. This has been going on for more than a year.

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/opinions/can...-to-game-devs/

There is no such thing as an unneeded program. What you call unneeded is just code taking up space on the hard disk. The application does not in anyway effect the performance of the OS when it is not running. Anyone can remove any applications that they do not want and install only those applications that they want. It is relatively easy.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It would be nice if someone could figure out a full session for steam so you could load it from the login screen without loading a desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    It would be nice if someone could figure out a full session for steam so you could load it from the login screen without loading a desktop.
    You can if I'm not mistaken.

And I hope the rumors of "steam-os" are true.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    This has been done by a third party a long while back. Didn't look for it, but it should be easy to find.

@ the OP:

>> I think there should be a desktop environment that not only aesthetically pleasing for gamers

What does this mean? I'm a gamer (Quakes, Counter Strike, etc) and I shudder at the thought of a "gamer oriented" desktop. It makes me think of so many "gaming" products which are just overpriced components with lots of bright lights and artwork all over them. This sort of idea sounds like using a kitsch artwork style that would appeal to teenagers. I want a UI that works, and Linux has got loads of those.

>> but is also designed to run more efficiently, without all of the unneeded programs and applications that regular Ubuntu has..

That's what Unity is working towards. Every release it becomes more performance optimized. On 11.04, I couldn't even think about playing games competitively on Unity due to input lag and fps drops. By 12.04, it was pretty well on par with GNOME 2 for me.

Basically, Ubuntu is headed that way already. It's already a fine gaming platform if it has the games that you enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast