Thread: Reinstalling GRUB

Hybrid View

Beans

Reinstalling GRUB

My GRUB has become corrupted. Can I reinstall GRUB using this Ubuntu Boot-Repair CD, if my Ubuntu is installed in a Macbook Pro? When I boot up, the computer first goes to the rEFIt menu screen and when I click on the "Linux Penguin" icon, it goes to the linux GRUB menu. So will this Ubuntu Boot-Repair CD be able to see where GRUB is and repair it there? (I ask because in my computer, GRUB is probably setting nested somehow inside the rEFIt which manages the Ubuntu/OSX dual boot.)
    Last edited by swarup; May 25th, 2013 at 02:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Reinstalling GRUB

Moved to Apple Users
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You keep moving my threads to this apple sub-forum-- where hardly anyone ever writes or reads. Just look at the traffic. There are posts on the front page of this forum from 5 days ago, 10 days ago, 15 days. Posting to this sub-forum, there is no chance of getting any help.

Beans
    Hidden!

there's an option to view "unanswered posts" in quicklinks, top left. that's how i found your post. i know nothing about efi or apple and never browse this particular subforum.
    there can be no harm in trying different cds - if they give you feedback on finding grub and efi, then it should be safe to let them do their job.
    apart from that, you should define your problem better. "my grub has become corrupted" is not enough.

Beans

Just needed to reinstall GRUB. For anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation, Here is a great link which tells you how to do it. Now my beloved 9.04 is back up and running, smoother than ever. I wouldn't trade it away for anything.